1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Security for W7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Terryl, Feb 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Terryl

Terryl Thread Starter

Since W7 is not being updated from Jan 2020, I would still like to use it because I have no problems with it. I have been looking into using VPN and a Password manager program, would they give extra security in W7 so that I could carry on using it for a little longer ?

2. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    I've no experience with VPN

Other than the typical:

I'd suggest Sandboxie.

If you are using Firefox or Chrome, there is a new Malwarebytes Browser Extension that seems to work well.
    Other extensions that are a must, imo. Like NoScript, Adblock plus, ghostery

I keep my passwords on a USB flash drive.

In your Win 7 Firewall, use the 'advanced settings', it's more powerful and selective.

3. Terryl

Terryl Thread Starter

Hi Johnny B, thanks for your reply
    I use Firefox and Malwarebytes and will look into those.
    As a matter of interest you keep your passwords on a USB f/d, does it mean that you copy/paste your passwords everytime ?

4. Johnny b

Johnny b

First Name:
    John
    For secure sites like resellers etc, Yes

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222561

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice