1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Security *from* my family

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Ninajitz, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ninajitz

Ninajitz Thread Starter

I think this is the right section, it *is* a security problem after all :)

Im in dire need or a piece of software that can stop the rest of my family from installing games and downloading *anything*.

Why, you may ask...well, my parents are complete morons, and they always believe my brother over me. Anyway, Whenever my brother (or my dad to a lesser degree) goes on the computer, i find Cds everywhere, dozens of new games installed, Dialers downloaded, annoying shockwave games trying to make me register and Dozens of viruses popping up to say hello.

My brother is 12 this month and, quote my dad 'you cant blame him, he doesnt know what hes doing' *sure* he doesnt, ive told him enough times, and whenever i say, Dont download things, my parents have a go at me. UGH. Anyway...i basically need something to stop them doing *anything* whilst maintaining the illusion they are in control. ^.^

(my dad also blames me for Xp not running some DOS games. <.< so you can tell just how much of a idiot he really is.)

Just so you know, im not some 14 year old Script Kiddy, im a guy of 18 years old and i really need this piece of mind, i paid a lot of money for my computer and my brothers already broken over £300 worth of parts in it. (i was blamed for it of course XD)

Thanks in advance, i really appreciate it.

Ninajitz

2. valis

valis Moderator

just put a user profile on and password protect it......that will prohibit anyone except you from using the pc. Also, you should be able to create user profiles for each of the other members of hte family nad then change the user profiles rights in the computer manager to standard user, and that should stop them from being able to download anything to the pc. Make sure that you leave yourself as the local admin, tho.

3. Ninajitz

Ninajitz Thread Starter

They need to have the illusion of control. They dont want passwords and they need to use the computer for work sometimes.

4. valis

valis Moderator

I'd still set up profiles for each one. That would give htem the freedom to do what they want in their own little corner of hte pc, just lock them down from downloading anything. Other than that, there is no way that I know of to filter what can and cannot be downloaded. It's either all or nothing.

5. khazars

khazars

If it's your computer why not tell them all to take a hike! You can only do as Valis says, set up user profiles.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!