1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Security Issues

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by kyuui-chan, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kyuui-chan

kyuui-chan Thread Starter

Hello, I have been having a string of errors as a result of the annoying "Generic Host" svchost error. My father had the problem and both he and the site recommend updating my system - easy enough. This is where I run into my current problem: I can't lower the security on IE or Maxthon.

Sounds simple, yes, just go to tools > Internet Options > Security, change as needed. Well, I try to do that, but a window pops up and tell me that the recommended level is "medium" and I can't lower it.

Normally I wouldn't bother, but Active X can't work on the Window Update site until I lower the security. I really want to get rid of that Generic Host error, hopefully without redoing the whole thing - and this is said to be the way.

Thanks for any help.

I don't know much about the details on my computer, all I can tell you is that I have Window XP SP2, obviously. And before the question pops up: yes, Automatic Updates is on.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/436324

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice