1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Security Program Ramblings

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by norton850, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. norton850

norton850 Thread Starter

A few weeks ago I finally got around to building a new system. Needing a firewall and anti-virus program I decided to try out some of the programs that often are recommended on the forum. I went with NOD32 for an antiviral and have no complaints. Of course it wasn't free, but I don't mind paying if something works. So far so good.

I had used the free Zone Alarm Firewall quite a few years back. It had a tendency to periodically prevent me from getting on the internet so it didn't last long. I thought I would give it another try. I had some problems with my email. I kept getting asking for my password. Since this was all a new set up I wasn't sure Zone Alarm was the problem. Eventually that problem went away. Last night I got home and found that I couldn't get on the Internet. With satellite broadband and Vermont winters that's not unusual, until I figured out that only the system with Zone Alarm had the problem. Uninstalled it and the problem was gone.

Of course now I needed a firewall. Bought the non free ($19.95) Kerio from Sunbelt Software. Definitely liked it better than Zone Alarm, which to be fair was free. At least I liked it until today. I tried to install a couple of programs. The CD lights would flash and then nothing. When I went to shut down the computer I would get a dialogue box about WOWEXEC needing to close, followed by a 16 bit subsystem message. A reboot solved this unless I once again tried to install any programs. A forum search had quite a few hits including one that thought he had solved the problem by uninstalling Kerio. That was too much of a coincidence since I didn't have the problem before last night. Off went Kerio and Zone Alarm back on (along with the email password problem). I'm waiting to hear back from Sunbelt Tech Support.

So what about NIS. It certainly is a program everyone loves to hate and tends to be a resource hog. You would also think that Microsoft and Symantec should be able to produce products that don't have problems with each other. But... I have it installed on my son's system. It's perfect. Very little imput from me needed and that's what's needed on a 14 year old's computer. It's also working well on the laptop.

My daugter (18) has a NVIDIA firewall that came with the system and the free AVG anti-virus. A good combination for her. She's very low risk. When I run Ad-Aware and Spybot they usually don't even find anything.

One final unrelated comment. I kind of miss my last system (AMD FX-51 based). It kept my feet warm at night.

2. norton850

norton850 Thread Starter

Just a follow up on Kerio. Had to uninstall it and replace it with an older version of Kerio. I would bet that if you were only installing relatively new programs this would not be a problem.

3. Gibbs

Gibbs

Make sure you don't get test or beta versions of Kerio (usually the latest version).

I used Kerio on Windows XP for years. I also had experience with Zone Alarm, Norton and Outpost.

I found Kerio to be the best out of all of them but it depends heavily on how you use your computer. If I remember correctly Zone Alarm is very restrictive in the sense it likes to do it's own thing most of the time. This is something I hate which is why I never used programs like Norton/McAfee anti-virus.

Kerio is easy to use yet highly configurable. It has everything a desktop firewall needs. I recommend it for Windows users (something I no longer am hehe).

4. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Just thought I'd post my 2 cents.

I've been using Kerio 2.1.5 for several years behind a firewall router.
    From 98se to Me to Win2k to XP along with AVG free. (Multiple computers).
    No problems to date.

My Mom's computer, XP,was set up with NIS2002 but the Norton AV eventually became an intense resource hog the more updates it had. Went to AVG free but kept the Norton firewall. No problems, but I never liked the configuration settings.
    Will probably go Kerio 2.1.5 at some time in the future.
    It's also behind a firewall router and no problems.

MS Internet Explorer is only used for updates ;)
    Firefox (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543541

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice