1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Security Software Updates..Vista & XP

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by MissStallone101, Nov 7, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. MissStallone101

MissStallone101 Thread Starter

Is there a way you can still keep safe you're Windows Vista & windows XP,XP Professional while using them for simple online work tasks??..

2. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi, older versions of Windows are no longer receiving Microsoft security updates and are no longer safe to use online.
    Even ''using them for simple online work tasks'' is putting yourself at risk.

3. irbrenda

irbrenda

I guess I've been very lucky. I still use Windows Vista Ultimate and never had any issues. I am careful what sites I visit. However, I have to use Maxthon5 to access certain websites now, such as Chase Bank and even BedBathandBeyond! I use the last version of Google Chrome all other times with no problem at all. And I haven't used an antivirus stuff in years. Norton killed my computer causing way too many problems, after using it for more years than I can remember. Yes, dangerous, but it's a computer and when it croaks, it will be placed in the garbage. I do not use my actual credit cards but a one-time use issued by the credit card companies for safety. Unfortunately, because of my court transcript work, which is so antiquated, I cannot go beyond Windows 7 either. Maybe I'll retire when nothing works anymore.

TerryNet likes this.
  4. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    You could try a free linux 'distro' like Ubuntu or Mint, they are very secure and can run free 'office' suites that are compatible with Microsoft's (unless it has to be Windows for your work).

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Unofficial support for Windows XP SP3 expired in May 2019.
    Unofficial support for Windows Vista SP2 ends in January 2020, so I still have 3 months of security updates to install in it before it expires.
    I am running both of them in legacy generation Dell OptiPlex minitowers.
    The Maxthon Cloud Browser 5.3.8.2000 is the only known supported and up-to-date browser that works in both of them.
    I don't do anything sensitive in them, such as on-line banking and purchases, so they work fine for me for normal functions and testing purposes.

----------------------------------------------------------------

6. irbrenda

irbrenda

I have to use WordPerfect for transcripts, which I then have to convert to WPDOS 5.1, which I then create an ASCII disk to send to the attorneys & courts. I do everything within VirtualPC2007! I installed Win98DOS and installed WPDOS within that. I then have a disk which I create an ASCII format. Would be so much easier if I spent $12k and bought an updated steno machine and software! If I were 20 years younger, I would! Nothing like working in the old horse & buggy environment! But the office I work for are OLD like me and we are too set in our ways from the '70s. I set up all myself and believe it or not, I got this all set up on my Macbook Pro too via Parallels!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!