1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

security thru a router is it possible?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Treasurerat, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Treasurerat

Treasurerat Thread Starter

my win 98se gateway 450 pro got wacked last night..while the daughter was on line..i have a 3 meg cable connection...running adaware , spybot and free avg for protection...for months this has worked fine with no problems..my son recommeded we get a router to help eliminate any risk's...is it possible for a router to help eliminate getting wacked?..his friend uses that same setup and has had no problem's at all..ever!..just need opinion's on what to do..i had norton internet but took it off as it was messing up to many programs for camera and printer...thanks for any reply

2. 104456

Can you be more specific as to what happened to the PC was it a virus,trojan,spyware etc and was it from a downloaded file or from the systembeing compromised?

You could get a router with an internal firewall which will reduce the risk as would a software based firewall if you do not already have one installed on the PC.
    If your system is having problems you could try the trialware version of Ewido its quite good at getting things removed.

3. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

Ewido is for XP or W2K only.

4. 104456

5. Treasurerat

Treasurerat Thread Starter

all was fine last night..as i let my son maintain the system..he turned the key board over to my daughter and early this am she was in a panic...no ie browser available...no software working for digital camera or printer...,,i ran spybot and got 89 hits before i came to work.. delted 84 that were deletable and the system will not restart..it just froze up ..my son just called and he re ran i spybot over and over and kept getting many hits..the system is almost locked up..i have no problem wiping the os and doing a fresh install as i have done this alot with my older system's in the past(if you can get any older..lol)...adaware wont even run...so i cannot get on line to run a hijack scan..the boy disconnected the cable modem ..i told him to leave it and i will deal with it when i get home...thank for the help

6. met3ora

met3ora

A little more information on what happend would be helpful. Keep in mind though, that even if your router has it's own built in firewall, each computer should have its own firewall installed. ZoneAlarm has always worked for me, although a bit annoying at times, but it protects well, and I believe there is a free personal version available.

7. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

HiJackThis will fit on a floppy disk if you can download it from your second machine. You can run it on the infected machine, copy the log to the floppy and post it back here.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!