1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Security update for Adobe Flash Player!!

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by TOGG, Aug 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TOGG

TOGG Thread Starter

2. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

thanks TOGG, I completely missed this update

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Go the Adobe Flash Player activeX and plug-in updated yesterday. (y)

4. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten

This is all very confusing! I have updated "Flash Player" to the recommended, latest version. However, I can not figure out how to obtain the update for the "ActiveX" nor the "Plug-in." Both of these are on the list of my installed programs. When I go to the update link, I end up at the update for "Flash Player," not the specific aspect of the program for which I am looking.

{redoak}

5. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

redoak, I think it chooses what to install based on what browser you go to the site with. For me I have to do the download with firefox to get the plug in and because I occasionally use IE I have to download again, this time with IE to get the Active X version.

6. redoak

Thanks for the info. I just finished doing the update for IE, but by going to the Adobe download site "manually." Before, I was using "SeaMonkey." Later I'll try going directly to the download site with it.

I wasn't aware that you didn't need both updates for each browser. In any event, I installed both for IE, plus two others that were listed. Here is where I found the updates:
    http://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/downloads.html

{redoak}

7. TOGG

TOGG Thread Starter

redoak,

Did you run the 'official' Adobe uninstaller before you did the upgrade or just Add/Remove? http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html I don't know if any problems could be caused if you didn't use the uninstaller but, if you should have problems in future with Flash content, it's something to bear in mind.

Also, as Darque Mist suggested, if you go here; http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ the browser you use will dictate whether you are offerred the Active X or non Active X version

8. redoak

Togg: I did not run the uninstaller or any uninstaller. I sure wish all programs would tell you whether or not to uninstall before installing an update. Some make it clear it is not necessary. Thanks to them for handling any need for an uninstall. Furthermore, how was I to know that one up date was for IE and the other for other browsers? I think I will be OK just the same since I have IE, Firefox and SeaMonkey installed. Adobe does make this clear when you install/update "Player" itself.

I believe this is another example of programmers assuming clients are as sophisticated as they are. Anyone writing instructions should put themselves in the position of the potential readers or have an uninformed person read what has been written to see if they can comprehend

I will copy your comments and put them i a file so that I can retrace my steps, if necessary.

Thanks for your insights, {redoak}

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I update Adobe Flash Player (both the activeX and plug-in versions) all the time over the older version without uninstalling them first.

Most programs will update a new version over an old version without the need to uninstall it first. If it doesn't allow that, it'll usually prompt you to uninstall the old version first.

---------------------------------------------------------------

10. DarqueMist

DarqueMist

Thats how I used to do it too but lately scans with secunia would report the old flash version as being installed while the flash site would report the most current. Checking it out on the secunia forums I found mention that it was probably due to stray files being left behind and it was suggested that an uninstall (I just use the add remove programs uninstaller) be done before installing the new version. After doing it that way all reports well on both the flash site and secunia.

11. TOGG

TOGG Thread Starter

I use the Adobe uninstaller because the blurb accompanying it used to say that 'modern' versions of Flash couldn't be fully, or properly, uninstalled without it. However, all Adobe's web pages appear to have been redesigned recently and that particular recommendation seems to have disappeared, so who knows?

Whatever, I assume that using the uninstaller is unlikely to cause any harm so I'll probably keep on doing it!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/942318

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice