1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Security update for Adobe/Macromedia flash

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by TOGG, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. TOGG

TOGG Thread Starter

2. John Burns

John Burns

Thanks - it isn't very well explained - your post helps.

3. TOGG

TOGG Thread Starter

When I have tried to help people with flash player problems before, I usually posted the links to the two versions at the Adobe website.

However, there is no reason not to get them from somewhere like FileHippo (I had to get the IE version from there because I got into a 'loop' at the Adobe site!).

Also, the layout of the 'Latest Updates' at FileHippo clearly shows the distinction between the two versions which might otherwise be missed ; http://www.filehippo.com/

4. stantley

stantley

I'm trying to run the uninstaller and it doesn't finish. It get as far as 'Extract: FlashUtil.exe 100%' and then it gets stuck. Not much info on the Adobe site about this.

5. TOGG

TOGG Thread Starter

This is the first time I've upgraded flash so I haven't used the uninstaller before, but it worked OK for me. Did you follow the instructions about ending all processes that might be using flash?

"3. Quit ALL running applications, including all Internet Explorer or other browser windows, AOL Instant Messenger, Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger, or other Messengers. Check the Windows system tray carefully to make certain no applications are still in memory which might possibly use Flash Player."

6. stantley

stantley

Yes, I made sure of that but I never did get the uninstaller to finish by itself, but if I killed the tmp process it runs then it would finish. Then I could get the Firefox plugin to install, but I couldn't get the IE active-x to install. Eventually, I cleared a couple registry entries and I got it to install.

From all of this I found the best way to install flash for IE, is to go to the Adobe site with IE and click on 'Get Flash Player'. The easiest way to get the plugin for Firefox is to go to a site that has a Flash game and it will prompt you to install the plugin, and the way to tell which version you have in Firefox is to check it through about plugins.

For IE you can click on Adobe Flash Player ActiveX in Add/Remove programs. I was trying to cross check Secunia's findings.

7. Olivaw

Olivaw

I was not sure if I should use this thread or start a new one :confused:

I did the secunia test and while my adobe flash player has got the gree tick :), my system shows two "macromedia flash players" with security issues. The problem is that nothing in add/remove shows up under macromedia, so I don't know how to get rid of it.

The files are found in:
    C:\WINNT\system32\Macromed\Flash\Flash.ocx
    Macromedia Flash Player 6.x 6.0.29.0 and

C:\Program Files\Macromedia\Dreamweaver MX\Configuration\Plugins\NPSWF32.dll

The uninstaller referenced earlier in the thread is for the Adobe Flash player - can anybody assist me with the macromedia flash player and how to uninstall it properly.
    I found some information here http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_12727 but am confused about the relationship between Adobe Flashplayer and Macromedia Flashplayer and between uninstalling the flash player and uninstalling active X control.

8. TOGG

TOGG Thread Starter

Adobe bought Macromedia some time ago, but both names seem to have been retained to describe their 'family' of players; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flash

The uninstaller is, as you say, for the newer versions of Adobe and probably won't work on the older Macromedia products. As far as I am aware, the flash players come in the form of 'plugins' for browsers, so it is not surprising that they don't show up in Add/Remove.

It does appear that you would have to try and follow the complicated looking manual uninstallation instructions in that link you posted, or leave the old versions and accept whatever 'risks' they may present, but wait and see what other responses you get. The ActiveX control is, I believe, the version of Flash/Macromedia designed to work with Internet Explorer.

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    TOGG:

I found out awhile back that the Adobe uninstaller isn't really needed - for me anyway. I download and save the new version of Adobe Flash Player, uninstall the old version from the Add/Remove Programs list in the Control Panel, then install the new version.

By the way, the www.filehippo.com site is one of my favorite sites for checking for new updates(which I do practically every day). Some other good sites are www.majorgeeks.com and www.softpedia.com

Frank

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702096

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice