1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Security Update KB819696 in Windows Update even after installing it.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by itgeek, Jan 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itgeek

itgeek Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a Win2K SP4 (all Critical Updates) laptop that has a weird quirk I noticed recently. I have installed the Security Update KB819696 (Unchecked Buffer in DirectX Could Enable System Compromise) a few times, but it never asks to reboot when finished and will always show up as a critical update even when I have manually rebooted the laptop.

Any idea on what could be causing this and how to solve it? Recently there has been some problems with malware/spyware/adware (which is cleaned) and perhaps something in the registry was corrupted or deleted as a result. Other than that, everything seems to work fine. Thanks for your help.

2. zephyr

zephyr

I've had that happen on more than one occasion. MS eventually fixed the problem but your case may be due to other factors.

Here's what Doug Knox offers:

Usage: Download xp_hotfix_prompt.vbs and save it to your hard drive. Double click the VBS file you downloaded and you'll be prompted to enter the KBxxxxxx or Qxxxxxx number of the Hotfix. No checking is done to see if the Hotfix is actually installed on your system, so its your responsibility to ensure that it is.

Note: I cannot guarantee that this will work for ALL HOTFIXES. Using the tools at my disposal, I have determined how the majority of checking is done for the presence of a particular hotfix. This mechanism may not be the same for all Hotfixes and could change at any time.

This page last updated 09/07/2003 11:29
    All material © Doug Knox

Download.

3. itgeek

itgeek Thread Starter

Thanks for your help! Seems like a great tool, but I still get prompted for that Windows Update. Oh, well. As mentioned, I guess it can't work for all of them. Thanks again! I'll keep that file handy if this happens for other updates.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/194899

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice