1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Security Worries

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Patriottoo, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patriottoo

Patriottoo Thread Starter

Recently I talked to a guy wh claimed to be a computer programmer who said he could put something on my laptop that could monitor everything. He also claimed it wasn't detectable and could reinfect a hard drive even if I put in a new one. He also claimed it could infect any usb flash drive and perpetuate the problem.

I use Linux Mint 13, 64 bit, KDE. Hard drive is a Samsung series 830 SSD, 64GB. Laptop is an ASUS K55a-BBL4

I use only public wifi or public LAN connections.

I have heard of malware residing in eeproms of cd/dvd burners, BIOS, etc.

I am not proficient in Linux at all and nearly never attempt to use command line for anything.

How can I detect anything they might have hacked their way into and deposited and how to permanently get rid of it and keep it from happening again?

He also mentioned that there are other security encryptions for wifi like w7 instead of wpa 2.

I don't like being spied on by anyone, not that I do anything wrong.

Getting a firewall for linux is worthless. The one's available are far too hard to use and configure (ip tables??) And those firewalls appear to control outgoing connections, not both ways like zonealarm does.

I stopped using win7 about month or two after getting this laptop because 1 week after I got it I had 5-6 trojans and all sorts of malware on a fully patched, firewalled, etc system. Whatever the malware was it broke my cd/dvd burner and not even linux can get it to work.

I hate to throw away a $600 laptop, a $130 ssd drive, every flash drive i own, and all my external drives then buy all new just to try and keep people like that from bothering me.

I am in the USA.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088149

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice