1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

security

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by MardyMar, Nov 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MardyMar

MardyMar Thread Starter

Hello I'm new to this so I hope I'm doing it correctly. My question at this time pertains to when I try and go into my Bio's somehow I've put a password in and I don't even know how I did it. I'm trying to get into my Bio's so I can reformate my computer. Bottom line is I'm trying to strip my computer of everything and start over. If you can help please do.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Welcome to the Board :)

Once password has been set in the BIOS, if you've forgotten it, you must either remove the cmos battery on the motherboard for a few minutes to allow the BIOS to reset to defalults -- or you must reset it by using a shorting jumper which should be located nearby. Usually the motherboard will indicate which pins to jump.

3. MardyMar

MardyMar Thread Starter

Thank you Rollin Rog I'm going to log off now and remove the battery and see what happens. I'll get in touch with you when I log back on. And thanks for the welcome

4. MardyMar

MardyMar Thread Starter

Rollin Rog I wanted to let you know that I removed the battery so now I can enter my BIO's what I would like to do next is reformat. From what I've been told I can reformat through my BIO's and that would erase everything from my comp. and start me over. If you could explain to me how to do this I would be very appreciative. Thank you

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

MardyMar, glad to hear you now have access to the BIOS, but no you can't reformat through the BIOS, and yes when you do it will erase everything.

Best to post that new question in the Operating System Forum. Let people know how the current system is setup (more than one partition?) and exactly what you want to accomplish. They will need to know whether you have a full install Windows system CD, or a vendors "restore" disk. Formats can be relatively easy, or hell depending on what you have. Driver files for things like the video card and sound cards often have to be installed separately, once the format and Windows reinstall is done, so you should ensure you have those files or know where to find them.

6. MardyMar

MardyMar Thread Starter

Rollin Rog

Im going to go to the forum and ask my question I do want to thank you for all your help. Maybe we'll chat again sometime.

7. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Okiedoke, I just don't want you to find yourself up the creek an no paddle :rolleyes: if you format without a clear idea of what is needed to fully reinstall.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58137

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice