1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

See User's Files/Documents on a Nonexistent Domain?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by controlfreak, Jul 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. controlfreak

controlfreak Thread Starter

Hello all!

I am sure there is a simple solution to my problem, and that I am just overlooking something; but...

I have a number of computers that were on a domain named "THS." This domain no longer exists, as the domain has changed to "TRONA." One computer in particular is still "seeing" "THS" as the domain for the Name/Password/Domain logon screen (winxp pro + sp1). I have attempted to log on using "Craff" and his password; but since the domain isn't there, obviously it won't let me in to view documents and files.

When I log on (to "This Computer"), using the local administrator account, I can see windows, etc. - but is there a way to view "Craff"'s documents? Or were his documents lost forever when the "THS" domain was deleted?

Thanks in advance,

AlexTs

2. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

Local Administrator should have full control of C:\Documents and Settings\Username (unless someone has tweaked with permissions)

I would take a look under C:\Documents and Settings\Craff\Desktop, C:\Documents and Settings\Craff\My Documents, and C:\Documents and Settings\Craff\Favorites. If you can't open the files then you may have a serious problem. If you can copy the files off that profile to a safe place, remove the PC from a domain to a Workgroup and then Re-add it onto the new Domain then of course move the files that were in his old profile into the new one (I said move and not copy because you want the permissions to be reset).

3. controlfreak

controlfreak Thread Starter

Thank very much, stumped - your advice was very helpful; as it allowed me to see that there are no documents in "Craff"'s folder. The user must have deleted them prior to me checking the computer.

Thanks again!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/378097

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice