See your house from space

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

franca

http://www.landvoyage.com

Wonder what your home looks like from space? There are many sites online where you can type in an address and get an electronic bird's eye view. My Mom really liked that she could type in an address of where she once lived and see how it has changed.

I actually like MapQuest the best. I can really find my house and zoom down to it. Plus you can get a road map and toggle back and forth between it and an aerial view. Not every area of the USA is supported. Will have to check for your particular World or USA area.

Great for blowing up road maps too. You can get far better details on things like Interstate ramps and all the turns a normal map will never show.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.ad...2yVaDxrYuW8hRDL/gmFtvTYEuETiKFmsZze3l4QfAHFDD

This little puppy is actually useful in everyday situations and they aren't trying to sell you anything. Lot of nice features from the site.

Love the ability to print out very detailed maps and getting directions. Best site for this sort of thing I have ever found and I use it quite a bit. I have flown over areas I haven't been too in years to check for the amount of development that has taken place. Very nice, can actually make sense out of the maps.

I just tried it and I was surprised that thy had a photo of a little town in minnesota with a population 715

I can remember the first time I used the Terra Server way back in 1997 or 1998. I found my house perfectly, it was nice and easy to spot as its next door to a very strange rectangle shaped house.:) Anyway, I was told about TerraServer from a friend, although he was led to believe that when you used TerraServer, you were viewing "live" images straight from a satellite. But I don't think it would be very efficient to have millions of satellites all waiting around for internet users to position them to see there house.:D

That Terrafly is kind of interesting, thanks. Will have to play with it more. Nice little feature in that scroll down to local businesses. H,mmm gas stations and motels in out of the way spots. Nice to have. That street name overlay quite a nice feature too.

Am interested in finding more of these sites, especially ones that can zoom over the boonies instead of big cities, towns, etc. Interested in tracing rural routes in as low a level as possible.

None of these seem to have exactly found my house in Long / Lat. If a cruise missile had been aimed there, hopefully the neighbors would be buying the farm.

Bring them on, the more the merry. Like to be able to get down to a level to see the nails in my roof. Or at least the bird poop.

DA-Either I am not doing something right are Terra works better. The first image is from your link and zoomed all the way in. The second is from Terra.

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!