seek error rate

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

begud4me

Ok Hi everybody havent been around in awhile. Heres the problem. I am running win2k with an 80 gig WD HDD. I have been having problems with my comp freezing for some time now. I have learned to just deal with it. I wanted to do a CKDSK the other day and the damn thing can't get throught one without freezing so I gave up. I downloaded HDD Health from www.panterasoft.com and it is a HDD monitoring software. I was working on the comp a minute ago with this thing running and it brought up the "seek error rate" warning on my op sys HDD. It went from 200 to 100. Is this something I should be worried about?

begud4me

i wanted to bump this back up to maybe get some fresh eyes on it.

seek error rate? sounds like a s.m.a.r.t. thing.... yup... looked 'er up.

I would download WD's drive testing utility and do a quick scan. (I've seen the advanced scan actually screw up a failing hard drive, so back up before you do that).

If an advanced test comes up with nothing, disable s.m.a.r.t. in your bios and see if that fixes anything.

I just did more research.... yeah, sounds like you have a failing drive. Do what I said in the last post and chances are you'll get a disposition code 0x7something. Call WD and RMA that sucka.

begud4me

i was hoping that wasnt the case but i think you are right. thanks for the info.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online