1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

seeking advice on how to recover data from 2 bad hard drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ubamous3, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ubamous3

ubamous3 Thread Starter

i have 2 drives that are going bad and i wonder if anyone can help with ideas or know which programs best to recover the data in these situations.

1/ seagate 300G AS - this one makes ticking noise (like a bomb lol) every minute or so and every few minutes it makes the ping sound (like if you were snapping a rubber band on someone); this one is still under warranty (so yay to seagate's 5 yr warranty), but i am having a hard time getting data off of the drive; after putting it in the freezer for a day, i put it in 1 of the pc's and it just stalls windows; after a while, windows tells me that a removable device (the bad hard drive in this case) has been unplugged or ejected, and it doesnt show up in windows at all.

2/ the WD 500G AS - this one is not under warranty it doesnt make the ticking noise like the other drive, but i also have no luck getting the data off of it either. I also tried putting in the freezer and then hook it up to the pc; during POST before windows is started, when the system lists the hard drives being connected, I notice that all other drives say OK but with this one, it says BAD. And then windows prompts me to run chkdsk on it; it checks and stalls at 12% forever so i shut it down and rebooted; this time, i chose not to do chkdsk and finally got into windows (albeit very slowly), i see that windows assigns it letter D but w/o any description; so i tried to format it and then if that were successful, i can try to retrieve the data via getdatabackntfs, but after hours of formatting, it finished but with an error and thus not formattable

sorry for the long winded background story but it's meant to show what steps i have already done; if there are any apps/ways out there you guys know to get data off, please let me know. Thanks in advance.
    BTW, has anyone have tried spinrite and hdd regenerator with much success?

2. CDATech

CDATech

First off, make sure your Seagate isn't part of this firmware fiasco with Seagate. If it is..you might be able to get free data recovery for that drive under Seagates warranty.

Have you researched "SpinRite" It might be able to save that WD hdd. Check it out :)

3. ubamous3

ubamous3 Thread Starter

which firmware fiasco are u referring to? i dont know anything about that at all

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/792108

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice