1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved seeking cpu and mobo advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nooyawkah, Feb 14, 2003.

Unmark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nooyawkah

nooyawkah Guest Thread Starter

I believe I have to buy a new mobo and cpu and I have 2 questions.

1. I now have an XP 2100+. The technology changed after the 2100 and I believe, was much improved with the 2400+. I am NOT a gamer or overclocker. Is the 2200 worth the extra $40 or $50 over the 2100? The 2400 is much more money (maybe too much). Same question for that one.

2. Whether I get the 2000, 2100, 2200 or 2400, which mobo would you recommend? I've already destroyed a couple of ABITs. I'd like something idiot-proof that will be able to use my PC 3200 RAM.

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

May I ask why you feel the need to get a replacement for your current XP2100 and mobo? Can you give more details about the kinds of problems you're having?

From what I've heard Abit MBs are very good and reliable.

As you said you are not a gamer or overclocker, I don't see a need to upgrade to a cpu that costs $50-200 more money.

:confused:

3. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Recently, I've had good results with DFI boards. I've assembled about a dozen systems with this brand and they are the most stable I've ever done.

As for the speed of the processor, prices drop on the slower ones as faster ones come out. I usually buy the fastest chip I can get without going into disproportionate pricing. I wouldn't pay $40 or $50 more just for an extra 100- or 200 MHz. You nor anyone else would be able to detect a difference, all other things being equal.

4. plschwartz

plschwartz

I thunk that the albatron boards give you good features for the money. I have been using one and I love it.

5. bencpht

bencpht

I'd still like to know why you need to upgrade. If you're not a gamer or overclocker, are you heavy into graphics or something? You don't need a super machine to play music, use the internet, or write a paper. My son's old celeron 400mhz can do all that.

6. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I'ld like to know the answer to that one, myself.

7. nooyawkah

I made a couple of changes. First I changed heat sink fans. I replaced a crappy one with a Thermaltake Smartfan. I'm using the manual setting. Everything seemed to work at that point.

Next, I swapped rheobus's. I freed my 5 1/4" bay and added one that fit a 3 1/2" bay. No wire stripping was required as both the old one and new one were plug-in.

Finally, I got rid of 2 toggle switches in a 3 1/2" drive bay and just connected the switches internally, keeping them in the "on" position. They're for my cold cathodes.

After each step I tested the computer. Each time it started, just asking for a bios adjustment. I used the machine for an evening and all was well. I shut down for the night. The next day every time I powered up the computer stayed on for less than a minute and shut down.

NEXT DAY
    I disconnected rheobus, all cards except video, all drives, all lights and left memory in. Removed mobo, took out all screws, looked for a short, replaced them. I took off the heatsink, cleaned cpu and hsf and reapplied Arctic Silver. Used a different fan - tried mobo 3 pin and molex 4 pin connections. Removed and reset battery, cleared CMOS. No change at all. The computer turned on and went off in a couple of seconds.

TODAY
    Now when I turn it on I get nothing at all. The hsf spins for a fraction of a second and it's done. Nothing! Nada! I guess I killed the CPU and/or mobo.

8. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Hmmm..very interesting..

What type of power supply do you have? Tried replacing it?

9. nooyawkah

What type of power supply do you have? Tried replacing it?

Same as yours

10. nooyawkah

So what I have now is 512MB of Geil PC 3200 RAM, an MSI Nvidia GeForce 3 TI 200, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz with some nice speakers, True Power 430 and a bunch of fans and lights in a much-loved Lian-Li case. I sure don't need cutting edge as I don't game or OC (but if I bought the 2100+ TBred "B" I might be tempted).

I also have an AlphaPal 8045 in use now, but a new ThermalTake
    Volcano 9 sitting around. Any difference?

Anyhow, that's why I need to shop ASAP as I have no working computer but the wife's, which I'm on now.

For example, I thought of this one for sheer stability as I'm beginning to set the record for killing hardware. Or maybe I should spend more to prepare for the future:

http://www.cnetpc.com/productinfo.asp?item=MB-MS6590

Under serious consideration is never again opening my case and setting up an electric fence around it, the thought of overclocking be damned forever.

That's it, oh great sages of technical knowledge. What do you think. I'm presently like a piece of clay and will buy the very first thing that makes any sense at all (then I'll cut up my AMEX card).

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118838

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice