1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seeking new "out of box" system sans monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ATS16805, Jun 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATS16805

ATS16805 Thread Starter

i'm "the new guy at the office". my workplace PC is a pile of junk-- a Dell OptiPlex GX300.
    we tried upgrading the RIMM RAM (rambus memory), but the chips that i ordered, under the advice of the Runtime Computer Corp www.runtimecc.com did NOT work, so i had to return that extraordinarily expensive RAM (would you believe they're going to charge a restocking fee even after i went by THEIR advice to order the chips!?).

the whole thing has been a huge inconvenience so far. yesterday, it actually took photoshop approximately 5 whole minutes to save a PNG file!! imagine how long it takes to work on a project-- trying new filters, etc-- it's completely ridiculous!

so, i convinced my manager to buy a new system for me, but he's not going to let me build one (i wanted to go to a place like www.newegg.com and select the best components, but that's not going to be an option).

can anyone here recommend a place to shop for an "out of the box" type system? i'd rather stay away from Dell, HP, or any of those cosmetically charming sales pitch systems. i just need something fast-- really fast for video editing. don't need any bells and whistles like DVD-R's, high-end sound cards, etc. (although a nice vid card might help w/ color definition...?)

i appreciate any advice on the subject. thanks!

2. WarC

WarC

www.cpusolutions.com , www.tigerdirect.com, www.monarchcomputer.com .

That should give ya some options for prebuilt computers.

Dell is actually not a bad place to go for business computers, they offer good warranties which help in the event of system failure. They have good professional-quality machines too, of course theres the brand-name price :eek:

3. ATS16805

ATS16805 Thread Starter

thanks for the advice!!

i should have asked in my first post...

what about any retailers which specialize in offering "late model used"-- such as a P4 or Athlon XP w/ say... around 1.4 Ghz and 512MB or so... something in that ballpark

thanks again!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/369962

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice