Seeking recommendations for good computer speakers

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Looker1010

Holly
Seeking recommendations for a good set of computer speakers. One with volume control a +. Said control being on the speakers themselves instead of in sofware, an even bigger +. Will post my computer specs on request if it will help with providing recommendations.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
How much are you willing to spend? What is your intention? Do you like LOUD? Curious minds want to know ... ;-)

Looker1010

Holly
How much are you willing to spend? What is your intention? Do you like LOUD? Curious minds want to know ... ;-)
I know this sounds weird, but... I attended a virtual (ZOOM) musical performance. The instrumentals were crisp and clear, but the vocal (speech) narratives was simply impossible to follow along, to save the whole planet. It was absurdly soft and I couldn't make out a word.

You might say this is simply a combination of my own hearing's speech recognition ability, plus the tone of voice of the narrators-- and you might be right. That being said, my speakers ARE pretty old and upgrading them wouldn't hurt.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
That sounds perfectly reasonable! It would help to know your budget for speakers, though ...

Looker1010

Holly
I use these on my personal system;
Logitech Z623 2.1 THX Certified Speaker System
With a real soundblaster sound card, they do pretty well for gaming, movies, etc.
I have an ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 Motherboard. Will that board's built-in sound system work better than a sound card, or will a sound card enhance it? TBH I thought that the newest motherboards' built-in sound drivers superseded sound cards.

Looker1010

Holly
That sounds perfectly reasonable! It would help to know your budget for speakers, though ...
Well I looked up the speakers crjdriver recommended and I can swing that much, but it's pretty close to the limit of how much I'd prefer to spend. I'd say that I'd be willing to spend between $100 and $150, but preferably not higher.

crjdriver

I have an ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4 Motherboard. Will that board's built-in sound system work better than a sound card, or will a sound card enhance it? TBH I thought that the newest motherboards' built-in sound drivers superseded sound cards.
High end boards do have pretty decent onboard sound. My personal system has an asrock X570 Steel Legend board with the realtek 1220 sound. I use the soundblaster because it has slightly better quality AND the software gives a lot of options for tuning audio.

The only problem I have had with those speakers is that after a while, the volume knob gets "Dirty" and causes some crackling when adjusting volume. With the speakers OFF, you just twist the knob rapidly back and forth and it is then fine.

Looker1010

Holly
High end boards do have pretty decent onboard sound. My personal system has an asrock X570 Steel Legend board with the realtek 1220 sound. I use the soundblaster because it has slightly better quality AND the software gives a lot of options for tuning audio.

The only problem I have had with those speakers is that after a while, the volume knob gets "Dirty" and causes some crackling when adjusting volume. With the speakers OFF, you just twist the knob rapidly back and forth and it is then fine.
I decided to order the speakers you recommended. If I may ask a favor-- respond with a link that shows your model of sound card. It will be a few months-- after all the holiday sales are over, unfortunately-- but I'll decide then, if I'd like to take the plunge.

Thanks as usual,
Holly C.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts