1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

seeking safe legal downloads that have no spyware

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by tiberiouskirk, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tiberiouskirk

tiberiouskirk Thread Starter

now i have found out that the download i can't open and play mite be from an illegal pirate site. i want to know how to find an OK site, what is a reasonable amount to pay for a download, are there sites that don't require a big amt of money plunked down upfront (I guess i lost the 29 dollars i gave the bad russian site). my kid, who is the geek in the family, says to watch out for free downloads and they are mostly phishing or putting spyware on my puter...which makes sense to me. but the free sites are the only ones i'm finding...anyone have any suggestions? :eek:

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

iTunes, Amazon MP3 to name 2.

3. Hughv

Hughv

Google "Free music" and you'll find a lot of safe, legit downloads.
    Download Winamp and Streamripper and you'll never want for free music again.
    From a John Wills post:
    "You need to configure StreamRipper and point it at the directory you want the streams ripped to, there's an options button on the StreamRipper screen. Clear all the boxes on the Connection screen, and check Never Overwrite and Add ID3 on the File screen. It'll generate an Incomplete folder under your selected file folder and store the ripped streams there. You can then evaluate what you got, add tags, rename, etc.
    "

4. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

Hughv, your first suggestion is fine as far as it goes but it's very incomplete. Googling for free music does turn up sites with safe, legit downloads-mixed in with a much greater number of sites that don't have safe, legit downloads. The problem is being able tell which sites are which. Unfortunately for gayfocker I don't have a solution to that, except to try (with as much protection as you can get) and see.

I've not tried StreamRipper but Winamp has essentially the same problem as Google-some of what you find via it is both safe & legal while other music isn't.

Although I know there's free music out there I personally feel it's too much trouble to find it so I get mine from various stores. In addition to DoubleHelix's suggestions you can also buy downloadable songs from places like Walmart.com.

5. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The only "free" music available for download includes songs available as part of the public domain. There is no legal way to download any other type of music for free. You have to pay for it. You can either purchase the song or subscribe to a streaming service. Pandora offers ad-based free streaming or paid ad-free streaming.

6. shihni

shihni

To add to websites already suggested... there's also Napster, Rhapsody, 7Digital and eMusic.
    That being said, if your downloading a song from the last 50 years and its free... than there's a very high chance that its not legal.

7. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

Although close, you're not 100% correct, DoubleHelix. Some songs are offered free by the artists-particularly when the artists are just beginning, or when the songs are so offbeat that no producer will handle them. One that I fondly remember was Damn It, I'm Vixen by Brian Breathard-I got it directly from his website so I know it was legit but it was not public domain. He retained copyright control and, as far as I can tell, no longer offers it for free. And I remember hearing about a group (British, I think-not my genre so I can't remember the details) that was experimenting with offering their songs via the Internet, free as far as I can remember but as I mentioned I didn't care for their songs, free or not, so can't be certain about that.

8. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

You could also download free MP3 music from iLike - GarageBand. Unfortunately, the service seems to be discontinued.

9. Hughv

Hughv

I read a CNET article that suggests Streamripper is legal It's neither P2P nor file sharing, and is equivalent to the old days of taping songs played over the air.
    "Get free, legal MP3s"
    http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-3000_7-6326030-1.html
    I've never seen any illegal content, either, but I confine myself to Shoutcast. I have been using it for many years, and it's a fantastic resource.
    As far as Googling "free music", it should be obvious what's safe.
    Amazon offers free tracks all the time, and many indy bands offer the same.

10. shihni

shihni

As far as recording streaming music... its a gray area. Recording from the radio (onto a tape) is defined explicitly in US law as being OK, recording digital music involving a computer and hard drive gets messy, since the primary purpose of the physical device used is supposed to be to record/copy video/audio. What does this mean? If you copy a CD with the burner sold with your computer, then the copy is illegal - the primary purpose of your computer is not to make music CDs. BUT, if you copy a CD with a burner marketed for making and copying music disks (that was not sold with your computer) then the copy is legal. Lovely, isn't it?

But, like most gray areas... as long as you don't flaunt it/make money off it you're most likely safe.

11. Hughv

Hughv

What's your source for all this?

12. stantley

stantley

13. shihni

shihni

The Audio Home Recording Act of 1992. Its a very contradictory piece of bologna (and no, that's not the first term that came to mind).

You can find the act over at the library of congress website. Anyway, for television shows that I miss I usually download them off the appropriate network's website, toss them onto my flash drive and watch them on my TV instead of my computer, so I was interested in the legality of doing the same thing with music. (My VCR eats tapes, this is easier although of equally questionable legality). In the law there are lines specifically protecting 'copies' made for home use, but in the next breath it apparently only applies to defined 'digital audio recorders'. It's rather stupid.

That being said, there's one more thing to consider, and that's the broadcast's terms of service. If they prohibit copies, well, you aren't supposed to rip those streams.

14. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

Listen with iLike.com
    Buy from Amazon.com.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!