1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Seen Blue Screen 16 Times, Please HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by lce_123, Jul 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lce_123

lce_123 Thread Starter

My dad's computer had been getting the blue screen every time i would login. I then booted into safe mode, uninstalled the recently installed software and hardware, but then the blue screen would come up about 5-10 minutes after logging in. I put the windows xp disc in and tried to repair the computer. After that, I installed the updates again, but SP2 wouldn't install. I looked online on how to fix the installation of SP2, but then once that was fixed, during the installation of SP2, the blue screen would pop up again. So then i backed up all of his data and did a fresh in install (after deleting the old partition and installing on the unpartitioned part). I decided to install the drivers first from the blue disc that came with the PC. Installed the first three drivers and boom, the blue screen came up again. i then installed windows updates and it has been working fine so far installing the updates. I rebooted and installed the rest of the updates. After rebooting, i got the blue screen again. I then tried to install sp2, thinking that would fix the problem, blue screen showed up in the middle of the install progress. I rebooted and then sent the error report (wasn't able to because PC didn't have the update at that time). Error report said that it was caused by a device driver but was unknown. I went to this page to try to fix it http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=322205. PLEASE HELP ME!!!

2. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Look in C:\Windows\Minidump for files with a DMP extension. ZIP some recent ones and post here as an attachment. The dump files can be anaylyzed to help find the problem.

3. lce_123

lce_123 Thread Starter

4. Frank4d

The attachments don't work, they keep trying to save as GIF files. You need to go to the Minidumps folder and select them all. Then File > Send to > Compressed ZIP folder. Or if you have Winrar, File > Add to archive (type ZIP or RAR). Then post the file as an attachment.

If all else fails, click my profile and send me an email with the DMP files attached.

5. lce_123

lce_123 Thread Starter

6. Frank4d

The errors are different. But what is common to all three is reference to memory address "f8958114", IRQ 2 (the second number in brackets) , and a write to that memory (the third number in brackets). Two of them show the same address referenced memory at the first address (fourth number in brackets).

All that isn't particularly helpful, but to be honest I don't know. Maybe Rollin'Rog or devil_himself will stop by and have a look.
    --------------------

07/15 error #1:
    BugCheck A, {f8973114, 2, 1, 805111e0}
    Probably caused by : Unknown_Image ( ANALYSIS_INCONCLUSIVE )
    PROCESS_NAME: explorer.exe
    ----------------
    07/15 error #2:
    BugCheck A, {f8958114, 2, 1, 804d6b90}
    PROCESS_NAME: rundll32.exe
    ----------------
    07/15 error #3:
    BugCheck A, {f8958114, 2, 1, 804d6b90}
    PROCESS_NAME: update.exe

7. lce_123

lce_123 Thread Starter

ok, thank you for trying. sorry such a late responce, i was working in the yard.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

For some reason the attachments links are not opening for me right now -- probably a site error. But I doubt I will find anything more in them than did Frank.

If these errors all occured during or after the clean install -- you can almost bet this is a hardware fault.

Test the ram and get a diagnostic utility from the drive vendor's site.

Also check for overheating. Open the case and blow out all the accumulated dust with a can of compressed air. Then turn the system on and see if the fan is working and not making any noises.

You can also run chkdsk /r /f from a command prompt. Best done from the Recovery Console (you can access that by booting with the CD and pressing 'r' for repair when prompted.

To test the ram you need to create either a bootable floppy or CD. Doing it by CD requires burning software that supports the ISO extension.

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory

>> also, while you have the case open, take a good look inside for any signs of scorching or leaking.

Look in particular for swollen or leaking capacitors on the motherboard.

http://www.badcaps.net/ident/

9. lce_123

lce_123 Thread Starter

thank you so much. i did the memtest86 on it and it showed no errors. if you give me your email address i can email those *.dmp files to you. i don't here a fan problem but it usually is the only laptop in our house that gets overheated. your probably right about that. the blue screens started happeneing before the fresh install. then it happened during the repair install. so then i reformatted it witha fresh install, nothing happened during that. after install 3 device drivers it got the blue screen again and then again after that. blue screens all ocver the place.

BUT!!!
    one thing i noticed was the computer getting real slow before the fresh install, even when i unchecked all startup programs in the msconfig utility. i ran all memtest86 tests and i didn't find any ECC errors, but can it find ECC errors even though it said that ECC was turned off? IDK.

He had 512MB ram. its probably to do what you said and then see whats goin on. plus i might put in extra sticks of ram in the computer.

I was really need to know if there is any special way of opening up the computer and doing all of this stuff. like how do i know what exact types of ram i really need to replace. the machine does say intel(r) i855PM. is that it?

i'll get back with you all when i have done all of the things that Rollin Rog said.

i just would like to say, thank you all for trying to help.

PS: Rollin Rog, i will try to send you the *.dmp files by email.

10. lce_123

lce_123 Thread Starter

i opened it up and went to the fan part. there was a LOT of dust in there. cleaned it all out. could that of been it?

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Here is what lies in that memory range:

f8948000 f894a480 compbatt compbatt.sys Fri Aug 17 13:57:58 2001 (3B7D8556)
    f894c000 f894f700 BATTC BATTC.SYS Fri Aug 17 13:57:52 2001 (3B7D8550)
    f89dc000 f89df380 CmBatt CmBatt.sys Thu Aug 29 01:09:04 2002 (3D6DD6A0)

I take it this is a laptop? This is some kind of ACPI power management for the battery.

There are probably devices in the Device Manager for this. Have a look there. You can try removing the ones that are for battery management and reboot. If you get a prompt that windows doesn't know where to look for drivers. Point it to c:\windows\INF (a hidden directory)

My notebook has a "batteries" key in the Device Manager -- look there.

12. lce_123

lce_123 Thread Starter

thank you. i also took out 1 stick of ram--blue screen. put that one back in and took out the other one--blue screen. so its probably not the memory.

i also look in the bios section (after keeping the laptop plugged in all night) at the battery level page and it still displayed 37%. so ya i think there is something definitely wrong with that. i'll try.

now when you say remove... do i disable or uninstall?

13. lce_123

lce_123 Thread Starter

ok wait, i just uninstalled it cause that would be a little dumb if i disabled it... it then automatically installed the device drivers thats good there. i just sent the error report from the last blue screen and it said it was my wireless. idk if that was it but i didn't do anything to the wireless; after uninstalling the batteries, i haven't got a blue screen (only 10 minutes after uninstalling batteries). if do i will post it.

lol just got another blue screen

14. lce_123

lce_123 Thread Starter

Details on Blue Screen:
    IRQL+NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    blah blah blah
    Technical information:
    *** STOP: 0x0000000A (0xf8958110, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x804D9B68)

15. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

This blue screen is after the reinstall of the battery devices? It shows the same basic error address.

Can you upload the minidump file for the one which came back to your wireless device?

How about removing the battery so it doesn't try to recharge -- and just run directly off the power adapter?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!