1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"select port" for internal modem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wininit, Jan 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wininit

wininit Thread Starter

Installing my modem is such a drag, I'm afraid to ever take it off again. Its and eiger pci winmodem (internal) and it never gets recognized by windows. I always have to select it for instalation. Then I am told to select com port 1 or 2 or printer port, none of which will work since it an internal pci slot device. The only way I ever get it in is to install it in com 1 or 2, which doesn't work, and then sometimes it will find it and allow a second install which it assigns to 'com port 5', and then delete the first install.
    How can I choose com 5, or some other appropriate site for a pci device?

2. Dan O

Dan O

3. wininit

wininit Thread Starter

Their directions aren't helping much. They assume the installation will be normal, either a detection during startup, or if you issue the command to install the modem, that Windows will know what port to use.
    I suppose to be honest I should say that the process was a little easier after I removed some garbage (phantom) devices from the pci connection in the device manager. They were probably failed attempts to recognize the modem. But Windows still required me to install a non-working version of the modem on Com 1 before it would recognize and install on what it calls "com 5".

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64404

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice