1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

selecting a video card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by r01axb, Feb 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. r01axb

r01axb Thread Starter

what terms do you look for when buying a video card to know if it will be compatible with your computer?

My computer manual shows I have:

Built-in AGP video controller and SGRAM video memory (4MB) on the mainboard.

Two 32-bit PCI and two 16-bit ISA bus connectors.

What do I look for when purchasing a video card?

Thank you.

2. Jtoast

Jtoast

1) check your manual and see if you have an agp slot/connecter.

If you are not sure after reading the manual, open the side of your computer and look inside.....

An AGP slot is usually brown and above the pci slots (the slots that your modem is in). It will be somewhat smaller than the PCI slots also.

If you do not have an AGP slot, then you will need to purchase a PCI version of whichever video card you choose.

3. MRCooLBP

MRCooLBP

Toast answered very well but to stay specific to how you're question was asked:

If you have APG compatibility and desire an APG card then all you need is to find an "APG" card. If you don't have APG then "PCI" will do just fine

note: APG cards are generally faster and a little higher quality

4. r01axb

r01axb Thread Starter

Thanks alot u2 for your answers.

5. buckaroo

buckaroo

6. r01axb

r01axb Thread Starter

Thanks alot, those links help alot.

I came across a video card that said only compatible with PCI 2.2, not PCI 2.0, what does that mean? I looked through my manual I don't see anything about 2.2 or 2.0.

7. buckaroo

buckaroo

Have you determined whether your mobo has an AGP slot? If you do, an AGP video card is preferable to a pci card. If there's compatibility issues with whatever card you're looking at, then you have to know what your mobo supports. Giving us more info on your pc, may help us figure out compatibility issues.

Although I haven't d/l this application yet, I understand it provides gobs of info about your pc and may give the pci info you need to know:

http://www.aida32.hu/aida32.php

:cool:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118092

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice