Selecting Motherboards

garystan

Hi everybody:
In thinking about getting a "newer" motherboard, how do I tell the age of the motherboard ? If the motherboard accepts a "newer" CPU ? Advice ?
Thanks,
garystan:unsure:
P.S------ I was just in communication with Gigabyte. And they said that my Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H doesn't support Windows 10. But, when I ran the Microsoft Compatibility Test (for Windows 10), the results said : "CPU OKAY', "MEMORY OKAY". Could it be just the BIOS that won't work with Windows 10? I seem to be bouncing back and forth with this dilemna.

Last edited:

garystan

Couriant :
Thanks for the link. I looked at it, and I put it in my bookmarks for reference. As for the build, I'm not sure. I'd have to check on that.
Thanks,
garystan

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Type winver in the search bar and press enter. It will tell you your current build version.

garystan

Couriant :
Thanks I'll try that. But, that will tell me what build of Windows 7 I have.
Thanks,
garystan

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It should tell you what version of Windows you have, yes. Assuming that you are going to the latest version, you will need to make sure you have 10th gen CPU.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H Motherboard (support site)
That motherboard supports 2nd and 3rd generation Intel processors.
It should support either Windows 7 SP1 64-bit or Windows 10 64-bit just fine.

If you plan to stick with Windows 7 SP1 64-bit, then you should stick with that motherboard.
If you plan to use Windows 10 64-bit, then you can move to a newer generation motherboard.

-------------------------------------------------

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online