Self-built gaming computer won't stay on

Mattwint

I built my own gaming computer back in January, everything went smoothly until recently, I went to turn on my computer when nothing happened, I turned the unit around and flipped the psu switch off then on again, the system started up, all of the lights lit up and the fans started to spin when all but 4 seconds later it shut off again. This has happened a few times now, usually it fixes itself but this time it is persisting. Here are my specs:
CPU: amd ryzen 5 2600x
CPU COOLER: Corsair h100x aio
MOTHERBOARD: gigabyte B450m ds3h
MEMORY: Corsair vengeance rgb pro (2 sticks of 8GB)
VIDEO CARD: msi GeForce 1660 super
PSU: Corsair cx550

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

crjdriver

It's My Birthday!
My first guess would be the corsair cx pw supply. The cx series is really for a basic build and not for running pw hungry components; even corsair says as such on their site.
Do some basic troubleshooting;
1 System OFF, open the case and pull the pw connectors from ALL drives; both hd and optical
2 R&R ie remove and replace your video card and any other add-in cards you might have. Be sure the card or cards are fully seated
3 Disconnect any usb device ie printer, scanner, etc. Leave the keyboard connected
4 Reseat ie remove and reinstall both atx and aux/cpu pw connectors. Be sure they are fully seated
5 Clear cmos with the clear pins [read your manual as to where the pins are located
6 Now attempt to pw ON and see if the motherboard will complete POST. If it does, shutdown and start connecting parts one at a time until you find the failed part. If the board will not POST, then you will need to swap parts with known good units ie pw supply, motherboard, ram, etc

Mattwint

My first guess would be the corsair cx pw supply. The cx series is really for a basic build and not for running pw hungry components; even corsair says as such on their site.
1 System OFF, open the case and pull the pw connectors from ALL drives; both hd and optical
2 R&R ie remove and replace your video card and any other add-in cards you might have. Be sure the card or cards are fully seated
3 Disconnect any usb device ie printer, scanner, etc. Leave the keyboard connected
4 Reseat ie remove and reinstall both atx and aux/cpu pw connectors. Be sure they are fully seated
5 Clear cmos with the clear pins [read your manual as to where the pins are located
6 Now attempt to pw ON and see if the motherboard will complete POST. If it does, shutdown and start connecting parts one at a time until you find the failed part. If the board will not POST, then you will need to swap parts with known good units ie pw supply, motherboard, ram, etc
Thank you for the fast reply,
I made a mistake when listing my PSU, it is actually the Corsair tx550M.

crjdriver

It's My Birthday!
The TX is much better than a cx. Do the troubleshooting and see if you can find the failed part.

Mattwint

Update: I found out that the problem was the pwr switch cable on the bottom of my mb, it was in loosely which meant that the power button didn’t work and it sometimes arced with the mb and turned on/off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online