1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Selling laptop - what will be retrievable?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by donaldcrowhurst, Jun 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. donaldcrowhurst

donaldcrowhurst Thread Starter

Hi

I am selling my laptop and having a job getting rid of everything on the HD.

Ive not had any sensitive documents on there so there so I am wondering whether it is possible for someone to view any of my internet history/passwords etc if I do not format the HD at all?

thanks in advance

2. Mhouser

Mhouser

If you are concerned for someone using an undelete program to retrieve your old files CCleaner has a freespace wiper.

Rewrites data on the part of your hard drive thats not being used, 3 pass selection will prevent any deleted files from ever being retrieved.

3. donaldcrowhurst

That sounds good, I will look into it..

thanks for the info

4. donaldcrowhurst

Does the freespace wiper require a HD format (and then you run the freespace wiper) ?

5. Mhouser

Mhouser

No, I am running it on my system now look like takes about 1min per GB.
    Edit: way off here, typical M$ cant give an accurate estimate time. Clearing 35GB of Freespace current estimate 2 Hrs.

6. donaldcrowhurst

sorry, I'll ask a different question:

If I delete my history/docs etc and then run the freespace wiper, will this mean those files are no longer retrievable?

thanks

7. Mhouser

Mhouser

You may need to clear your recycle bin first. After that run space wiper. They will be un-retrievable.

8. donaldcrowhurst

Great, thanks

9. valis

valis Moderator

Not really......pretty sure that CCleaner isn't even DoD certified, and very doubtful for a three pass zero fill.

That said, it's going to take a LOT of know-how and more than a couple bucks to retrieve it. If all you are worried about is internet passwords, you should be more than safe.

10. donaldcrowhurst

ok thanks. Ive got rid of everything and now doing a 3 pass wipe with CC. I dont think there has been any documents on there with passwords or sensitive info, its just internet passwords

11. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

"Just Internet passwords" that could be associated with online banking or some such? Do you use the same username and passwords repetitively, so that someone with access to this data might log in to some eCommerce sites and spend some of your money for you? At the minimum, you should at least use a utility like Dban to clean the drive, but the only truly secure method of protecting your data is to destroy the drive.

12. valis

valis Moderator

absolutely agree, snaggle.......that said, think all they want to do is wipe the my docs part and go from there......

THAT said, if they have the install disk, may as well just reformat the dang thing.

13. Ent

Ent Josiah Trusted Advisor

Obviously I can't see what's going on on the inside, but just based on what it says it does...
    Well, look at the picture.

Attached Files:

14. valis

valis Moderator

cool........didn't know it was.

Still don't trust it, however. :)

15. Mhouser

Mhouser

There is this bit of information about Drive Wiper from CCleaner's own site.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1056790