1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Selling my computer, how do I change name as registered user?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dandmb50, Sep 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dandmb50

dandmb50 Thread Starter

I want to sell my computer, desktop XP SP2 but I want to change the name as registered user to my friend. How do I do that or can it be done without re-installing windows?

I called Microsoft and they want $45 to do it?

Any suggestions?

Daniel...........Toronto

2. Claymore

Claymore

Hi,

Well, if you want to change the name that shows up in System Properties (Right-click My Computer => Properties) you can change this in the Registry:

Go to Start => Run and type in regedit

Navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion
    Look in the right-hand pane for the String RegisteredOwner
    Note down what it says.
    Right-click and click Modify
    Type in what you want.
    It should take effect immediately.

However ...

Your name may show as the Registered User in other Registry entries, especially some installation programs that pick up the Registered User name. So...

Still in the Registry Editor do a search for the user name you noted down earlier.
    When setting the Search, check the Data box only (uncheck the others), and check the box Match whole string only
    You will probably get a few "hits" for the String RegOwner. Right-click and Modify these also.

3. dandmb50

dandmb50 Thread Starter

Many thanks it worked...

Daniel..........Toronto

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you want to sell the computer and remove your data, you might want to delete your user accounts and delete the data that goes with them.

To clarifiy, any user profiles can easily be different than the registered owner that Claymore showed you how to change.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/502540