1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Selling my computer

Discussion in 'General Security' started by haysp, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. haysp

haysp Thread Starter

I have bought a new computer and I am selling my old laptop to a friend of mine. I don't want to restore factory settings because alot of applications I have she wants to keep on the computer. How do I delete all my passwords that are stored in the computer and generally protect my security so I can give her the computer?

Thanks for any help!!!

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

No good way to do what you want, the only way to protect yourself is to either do a Factory restore, or install the OS clean.

too much of your personal data is stored in too many places in the OS.

3. antech

antech Banned

Factory restore would be perfect!

4. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

antech, Your advice doesn't meet the needs of the poster. There's software on the computer they want to keep. That would obviously be lost if they did a factory restore.

5. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear haysp,
    Welcome to techguy! One solution to your sit. of "i wanna eat my cake but save a part of it for my friend" could be--- if you can download the"software applications" which your friend wants onto an Usb Flash. Then you can download the excellent "East-Tec Eraser 2009" and wipe your hard drive once or "thrice"(that's what they do in the US Navy) or use the Gutman method where" A maximum security (but slow) 35 pass sanitize method, based on Peter Gutmann's paper "Secure Deletion of Data from Magnetic and Solid-State Memory". The method is designed to erase data regardless of the disk raw encoding. It effectively removes the magnetic remnants from disk, preventing hardware recovery tools from restoring any data. NOTE: This method stops both software and hardware recovery tools". Best wishes!:)(y)

6. antimoth

antimoth

This won't work for most Windows apps which alter the registry when installed.

Anyway, the original poster has to think back on what he has on his PC and what needs to be scrubbed., I have given away two PC's with plenty of applications resident, but I never kept any sensitive passwords in my browser, and even if I did, it is very easy to delete them. If he details what he uses for email and browsing, it is not a big deal to clear out the personal info.

There are a number of install codes involved with the software applications, but he is giving those away, so why care about those?

Yes, it is feasible for someone to use recovery software and retrieve files that were deleted, but that ain't going to happen with civilians.. And if that is a concern, there are ways to make it not happen. Turn off system restore first. Then use a program like Eraser from sourceforge to erase all the free space.

7. perfume

perfume Banned

Dear antimoth,
    I suggest you read this article (direct from Microsoft),before jumping the gun! These are days when even a whole Windows 7 OS can be downloaded and re-installed onto a lap using a USB Flash Drive! Reference site : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/installing-windows-7-on-a-netbook

I can eek out every password,however encrypted you have,with " Asterisk Key"!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918276

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice