1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Semantec interfering with McAfee

Discussion in 'General Security' started by GaryVonGary, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GaryVonGary

GaryVonGary Thread Starter

I installed a corporate edition of Semantic on a friend's computer without knowing he already had McAfee and I can't get rid of certain parts, even after uninstalling it. I still get prompts saying that it's interfering with the performance of the computer. What can I do to get rid of it 100%?

2. gyclone

gyclone

First of all, make sure you uninstall all McAfee products via Start -> Control Panel -> Add Remove Programs. Many people don't realize that there is more than just the anti-virus and it all only barely works when properly integrated. Things often get worse if you remove only one piece of the puzzle.

You can also check for any McAfee Services that may be running, stop them, and disable them. To do that:

• Right-click on "My Computer" (any place you see it) and select "Manage".
    • In the left hand pane, toward the bottom, click on "Services and Applications".
    • After that expands, click on "Services".
    • Scroll down the list, looking for anything with McAfee in it.
    • Right-click on any McAfee services and select "Properties".
    • On the "General" Tab, change "Start Up Type" to "Disabled"
    • If the service doesn't stop on it's own, click the "Stop" button.
    • Then, click "OK".

Hopefully, that should take care of it.

3. GaryVonGary

GaryVonGary Thread Starter

I will try that but with Semantic because he paid for McAfee and I uninstalled Semantic (seemingly) almost completely and need to work out a few quirks. I will keep you posted. Thank you very much for your help.

4. gyclone

gyclone

You're welcome and sorry I got it backwards. Same principles apply, but Norton/Semantec is harder to get rid of. Look for "Norton", "Symantec", and "Live Update" programs and services. I haven't used Norton in a long time, so I don't know what all they bundle these days. If someone else reads this and thinks of anything else, hopefully they'll chime in. Good luck!

5. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Run the MCPRT, as advised, then restart the computer.

Run the tool again and then restart again.

----------------------------------------------------------------

You should've checked that computer to see if an antivirus program was already installed before you installed Symantec Norton.

Why did you install a corporate version of it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

7. gyclone

gyclone

I think he's trying to get rid of Semantec now, not McAfee, but thanks for the tip about the Consumer Product Removal tool! That's going to come in really handy for me next week and I'd never heard of it before.

8. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Here is the link to Norton Removal Tool 2011.0.1.9.

Download and save it, close all open windows first, then run the tool.

Allow it to remove everything that's associated with Symantec, Norton, and LiveUpdate.

If all goes well, you'll be advised the removal process was successful and will be prompted to restart the computer.

Once the computer restarts and settles down, repeat the process a second time.

You should use both tools to remove both McAfee and Norton and their leftover "debris".

Once that's done, then you can reinstall McAfee or Norton.

Personally, I wouldn't install either one in a home computer.

Microsoft Security Essentials 2.0.657.0 is smaller and more user-friendly and less system-hungry.

9. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Maybe you should have a look at the directions for the exact version of Norton corporate / Enterprise that you want help with, and also for the version of Windows you have.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/symantec-antivirus-corporate-edition-removal-help

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH99631&locale=en_US

Last I heard, the NRT was not supposed to be used for Corporate Editions ----however.....things may have changed.

A tool called Clean Wipe is used for complete removal of Corporate Editions, and there are Manual uninstalling directions at the link I posted, based on what version and what exact type of Enterprise or Corporate edtion you used.

The best thing to do, might be to chat online with a Norton tech. Submit a support ticket....... whatever they call it.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975741

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice