sempron 2400 as an athlon xp 1000

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

iceman19

I read something about bios and FSB but: my mother is an Asrock k7s41gx and the bios keep me change the FSB by jumper (100 mhz) and manually. If I change the FSB manually, can I damage the processor or the motherboard? :confused:
Sorry, my english is poor... i from Argentina.

yes, it is the heat that can get out of control and damage the mobo (motherboard) but with enough cooling (fans and heatsinks) this shouldnt be a problem. too high a voltage can damage it too.

the sempron 2400+ runs at 333mhz

and the gx motherboard runs at 200/266/333 (ie 100, 133, 166) from the jumper settings on pg 14 of the manual
- you need to set it correctly for your cpu before using the manual bios setting

so, set it correctly first, then make any overclocking changes

can you hurt it:
yes, primarliy from motherbaord and/or cpu heat so make sure your cooling is good

here's some google links
google

doesn't really seem worthwhile to OC it

do you mean that your mobo is reading your Sempron as an athlon?
if so, you probably need to update your bios to a newer version which recognises the newer semprons. The fsb of Semprons is 166 so you can safely set it to that so a newer BIOS will then calculate correctly. (assuming you have 333MHz RAM)

Use the jumper on the motherboard to set the FSB to 166mhz.

Your CPU will then run at the correct speed and the motherboard should recognize it correctly.

iceman19

thanks everybody... i fixed the problem. I changed the FSB manually to 166 mhz and the mobo recognized the processor. the temperature is ok!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online