Sempron 2800+ vs Athlon P 2800+

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

nitrogun

Could anyone with the technical knowhow comment on the Sempron 2800+ vs Athlon P 2800+, I have to build up a few computers for someone, and would like to give the best 'bang for their buck', and I am uncertain as to the possible advantage one of these CPU's has over the other.
The Sempron is 15% cheaper, but the sales guy says the Athlon XP is "much faster" and better, ?? but I thought the Sempron was just Athlon XP relabelled to separate the old Athlon XP from the newer Athlon 64?
The Athlon they have is a Barton Core.

Thanks in advance.

Trevor from New Zealand

I would go with the Barton 2800+, it's $181 from Ascent.co.nz, compared to $177 for the Sempron 2800+. The Barton runs 83MHz faster and has twice the L2 cache.

Without getting technical, you can compare a Sempron to a Celeron, and an AthlonXP to a Pentium 4.

nitrogun..
It's somewhat like comparing cold beer to cold water.

I'll take the beer or XP rather than the sempron.

agpilot

:D You get a Barton you might be able to make a beer cooler for it. Man these chips run warm.

I gave up on getting mine to the low 40s. All said, the Barton is a better chip. No problems other than it heats this room. :D

When purchasing chips, I leave all of the "ron" chips alone. You get what you pay for and "ron" is false economy.

The "ron" chips have part of the cache stripped from them and/or do not execute as many instructions per cycle.

Generally, the industry has spent a lot of money convincing foolish or ill-informed consumers that Hertz is the all-important factor in the speed of a computer when the truth is that there are other factors that are just as important, if not more. For those who are ignorant of the other factors, the ron chips will part them with their money.

It reminds me of another story that to some will seem disconnected altogether. About twenty years ago, the heating & air industry did a survey of home owners asking which brand of central heating/air units they had.

The overwhelming majority answered "Honeywell".

For those who might not know, Honeywell doesn't make heaters or air conditioners, only thermostats. So, if you want to know what makes a computer fast, you have to look further than the Gigahertz label on the box--and "ron" equates to "slow".

Homeywell makes humidifiers too. :D

I know what you mean though. I have worked the HVAC rackett too long. I am getting out. I hate it.

It is true about processors though. How else could an Athlon 3000+ compare with a Pentium 4 3 ghz? The 3000+ is almost a full ghz slower in frequency but is very close in performance.

you have to look further than the Gigahertz label on the box--and "ron" equates to "slow".

WELL then, I guess all those 64bit quad processor Opteron servers out there must be slow as Hell...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online