1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sempron 3400+ Running @ 1Ghz?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coreyjames66, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coreyjames66

coreyjames66 Thread Starter

I'm at a loss. My computer has a AMD Sempron 3400+ processor. The sticker on the computer says that it is a 2.0 GHz processor - 256kb L2 cache - 1600MHz System bus.

Anyways, it's running at 1.0 GHz. Is this because it's a 64bit processor running 32 bit Windows XP Home SP/2? Does that cut the processor speed in half?

I don't get it. If someone could clue me in I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Corey :confused:

2. Vidko

Vidko

32bit windows is not the reason, thats for sure. It must be something else. If you post your whole configuration it would be helpful!

3. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

Is this a desktop or laptop computer?

4. coreyjames66

It's an e-machines T3418 Desktop- Nvidia GForce 6100 integrated - AMD Sempron 3400+ processor - 200 GB HDD - 1.5 GB DDR (PC 3200)

I don't know what's happening. It *was* showing 1 GHz - Then it showed 2.01 GHz - it went down to 1.85 GHz and now it's back to 2.01

I'm wondering if this is a PSU issue? I didn't put in a more powerful supply unit when I added the ram. Still, I don't know why it would continue switching like this when all other things are the same.

Thanks in advance

5. prunejuice

prunejuice

It's called Cool'n'Quiet. It's AMD's power saving feature to throttle back the processor's speed for energy conservation. Everything's fine.

6. coreyjames66

That's what I thought too, so I went into bios and disabled "Thermal Throttling" - it was still deviating after that. Isn't that the Cool and Quiet?

7. Goldfish92

Goldfish92

Can you use something like CPU-Z to look at the CPU in detail to see what is going on while the system is running, but I would have though and under voltage from the PSU would just cause a crash rather than a lower speed...

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/643163

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice