1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Send to option lost for some items

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Fifer, Dec 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fifer

Fifer Thread Starter

I am tearing my hair out over this problem!
    When I right click on any folder or subfolder, I get the usual send to options (desktop, email recipient etc.). However, if I click on a file within any of these folders, the send to option is blank. I have been "playing around" with folder and file permissions to solve a problem related to sending files over my home network. I just can't seem to get the right combination of permissions to have the send to option work for all folders and files.
    I run XP Home (SP2) up to date with all security updates.
    Two screen shots are attached; the first shows the advanced security settings for a folder for which the right click/send to works. The second screen shot shows the same settings for a file within the folder; the send to option does not work for this file.
    Can anyone help me out with this annoying and frustrating problem?

Attached Files:

2. 12tipp12

12tipp12

3. Fifer

Fifer Thread Starter

4. Fifer

Fifer Thread Starter

An update - things get stranger by the minute!
    I use Power Desk instead of Windows Explorer; on a whim I switched to Windows Explorer, and the right click/Send to option works for both files and folders. Even more strange is the fact that the Send to menu is not the same as the one I saw in Power Desk. For example, one of the menu items is DVD_RAM drive in Explorer - this did not appear in Power Desk.
    This is more of a work around than a solution.
    Any brilliant minds out there to solve this one?

5. devil_himself

devil_himself

does this happens with some certain file extension or only with some unique file ?

try this

start > run > regsvr32 /i shell32.dll

you should get a message like this

DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in shell32.dll succeeded.

6. Fifer

Fifer Thread Starter

I already tried this and it did not change the behaviour. The problem seems to be with Power Desk, and is not there using Xplorer2 Lite. The type of file doesn't seem to matter. The problem exists for every file in a folder, but not for the folder itself. I can open the files normally, I just can't get the right click/Send to option to appear.

7. Fifer

Fifer Thread Starter

The problem with the Send to context menu happens only with Power Desk. I have tried several other Windows Explorer replacements, and the normal Send to menu appears with all the files I tried. With Power Desk, all I get is another "Send to" - nothing else.
    Is there some registry setting that specifically connects Power Desk and the Send to menu? I can obviously avoid the problem by not using Power Desk, but the challenge is to solve the problem, not simply work around it!! I actually like Power Desk and would prefer to keep using it, but for now, will use an alternative program.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/782644

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice