1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sending Access Database with Attachments

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by help999, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. help999

help999 Thread Starter

I am currently working with Access 2007 and am making use of the attachment function. I now need to send my database with the attachments to someone (in another location) and wondered what is the best way of doing this? I am not sure if this other person has Access either so a backup plan if this is the case would be great!

2. slurpee55

slurpee55

If the other person doesn't have Access, then you will have to find another way to send it, unless you just want them to look at it, in which case the Snapshot Viewer should suffice.
    They can get that at
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...3f-6d74-423d-8274-8b7e6313edfb&displaylang=en
    Also, if the other person has a previous version, you will want to save your file in that format, and be aware that there are some features in 2007 that are brand new, so some things may not work correctly.

3. help999

help999 Thread Starter

I cannot use a snapshot viewer as i have attachments and he needs to be able to open them. If he does have Access etc how do i send it with the attachments?

4. slurpee55

slurpee55

Well, he needs something to view the file. Since you say you want him to see the database - not just the results of a query or report - then he needs to get some software. I would suggest he get OpenOffice.org - it is free and has a database program that can open .mdb files. A new version of OO just came out (which is the reason the website for OO is barely functional) and I don't know if it can open .accdb files, which are the standard for Access 2007, so you may need to save your database in 2000-2003 format.
    Also, if you have VBA code/macros in your database, they did not run in previous versions of OO, and since VBA belongs to MS, they may still not.

5. slurpee55

slurpee55

A note - if the attachments that you want to send are the results of reports or queries, you can export them as Word documents or Excel spreadsheets - whatever works best. In these cases, OO can open those types of files and the latest version can (by and large) deal with MS Office 2007 formats (it is just the database I am not certain about).

6. help999

help999 Thread Starter

Hi Slurpee,

Thanks for the info. There is a database with info and at the end is an attachment which is a CV so he would need to see the main database plus the attachment.

7. slurpee55

slurpee55

But all of the database? If it is the table, why not export it to Excel, queries can be in Word or Excel (depending on the layout you need) and reports can be Word documents, and, if built on a query or queries, can include all the data in several tables.
    The Word document could include the CV easily, or it could be a separate Word document.
    I mean, I love Access, don't get me wrong, but I have to deal with people all the time who either do not have it or don't understand it well enough to work with it.

8. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

IMHO, if the person receiving the dbase doesn't have MS Access, you could always have him/her download the runtime version - it's free and will run your dbase as intended but keep him/her out of the programming portions.

Also, if your files are attached and, with any luck, you have them organized in an organized subdirectory system (dbase is in C:\dbase and attachments are in C:\dbase\attachments), then you should be able to zip up the entire C:\dbase directory and in the Winzip options have it store the file/directory structure. When the receiver unzips the files, they will all be where they need to be for your dbase to access.

You may even want to reorganize to achieve this so that zipping is made easy.

Hope this helps,

MBN

9. slurpee55

slurpee55

I didn't know there was a runtime version for Access. Thanks, MustBNuts.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759092

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice