1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sending an email with outlook through excel

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by RJONES280, Apr 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RJONES280

RJONES280 Thread Starter

I have a worksheet that I'm working on for work. It shows a list of trucks with different insurances and expiration dates. I'm far from savvy using excel and I need help creating a code that will alert myself and one other person if a trucks insurance is about to expire.

2. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hi there, welcome to the board!

So, this is a loaded question. ;) Let's first get all the information out on the table, then we'll be able to give you directions on how to best solve this.

See if I understand this correctly. You have a spreadsheet. This spreadsheet is located on your desktop computer. In this workbook you have a worksheet which contains data. The data is a list of trucks in some range (not yet specified), difference insurance information (not specified) and their expiration dates (in a range not yet specified). So from this we don't know the workbook name, worksheet name, data range where this data lies, nor a sample of the data housed in this mysterious range. In not trying to go overboard, can you please give us some specifics about this missing information? :)

Once we know the above information we'll know where we're starting from. This is only half the equation. The other half is what you actually want done. Also, this second part is easier if you fully define the first part. In other words, to properly describe an end point (e.g. solution) it's best to have a well documented/defined starting point (e.g. problem).

Let's say, for arguments sake (since we're not very well defined at the moment), that what you're looking for in a solution is to notify you + 1 other in the event of these expiration dates coming close to the current system date. Some questions I would ask is:
    • When should this list of expiration dates be checked?
    • Should this list be checked even if the file isn't open?
    • Should these notifications be in the way of emails?
    • What if previous notices have been sent out, should there be a limit?

These are some of the questions which should be answered, but more importantly they should give you an idea of what we're after.

My assumptions up to this point are as such:
    • Using Excel 2010
    • Using Outlook 2010
    • No need to logon to Outlook (opens without needing a password)
    • Send emails based on a button press (or other manual action)
    • If email previously created then do not create another one
    • Track when emails were sent

If you want anything different from this it must be specified in detail.

Let us know if you have any questions.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1147446

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice