1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sending attachments in email

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by IBwebin, Nov 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IBwebin

IBwebin Thread Starter

Can one of you brilliant people advise me as to how I can send photos and audio files in my emails? I have purchased a Sound Blaster and a Digital camera, but I know nothing!!!!

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

IBwebin
    There are many different ways and several different E-mail clients you can use so lets stick with basics and Outlook Express.
    First it is best to have your picture stored on your computers hard drive. This gives you the ability to touch them up if necessary, resize it if needed, and group together into a folder logically. The best formats for sending Pics on the Internet are .jpeg, .gif because the are what is called compressed images. Compression looses some quality but the size reduction for sending is necessary. For instance a .bmp may be 1MB in size and have great quality but for someone with a dial-up it could take 10 minutes or better to download it. If it is converted to a .jpeg its size would be approximately 220KB which is significantly smaller. There are many great photo editing software packages available. I use Photosuite 4 because of its ease of use and user friendly interface but there are many other good ones available.
    After Pic is as you wish it is ready for sending.

Outlook Express must be set up to send Pictures. There is a setting in OE called Plain text and HTML. Basically Plain Text is just that...only Plain test is accepted. HTML allows for much of what you have seen is possible in Web-pages to be part of your E-mail. Active Hyper-links, Pics, Colored Fancy Text, Little animations running around, and so on. To set OE to HTML you Open OE and select tools up top then options. Once menu appears select the send tab up top. On that page you will see the plan text and HTML option. Make sure HTML is selected and applied. Within the HTML tab if you click on it, you will also see a selection of send Pictures with E-mail. Make sure that is set.
    Now for actually attaching a pic. When you have the E-mail form and are actively working it before send you can click the Insert tab up top. The drop-down will have "File Attachment" "Text from File" and "Picture". If you use the "File Attachment" option the item you select will be sent as an attachment to the E-mail. If you are currently typing in the body of the E-Mail and use the insert tab the "Picture" option will become available. Using this option will embed your Pic in the body of the E-mail at the place of the cursor.

There are many other things you can do such as zipping a folder full of pics and sending the whole folder, adding background music, and custom backgrounds, but above are the basics.

Hope that helps a bit.

Let us know if that answered your question or need more info.

Dave

3. jbcalg

jbcalg

a couple of additions to davey7549's excellent info:

read the manual for the camera - you probably have a choice of settings for the size/quality of picture (small, medium, large or godd, better, best etc)
    - the better quality usually means bigger file size (and fewer pics per memory card or stick)
    - so pick the setting that works best for email - start at medium or the middle setting - but these can be up to 500kb depending on the camera

the camera probably comes with editing software which is usually decent for starting off
    - crop and resize the pics to reduce the file size to make it easier to email

and some camera software comes with an email link built in to make it easier

have fun

4. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

If anyone is interested in a neat little way of creating scrolling stationary with background sound Private Message me your E-Mail addy and I will forward you a zip with samples and instructions on how to use it. The method can be used for OE stationary and Webpage background also. The zip file is 60KB in size and contains 7 files and two functional stationary designs. Since this method has a very small footprint it can be used many places where HTML is allowed.

Dave

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/102212

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice