Sending, but not recieving 'packets'

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Pipni

Hi,

I've just set up a wireless network (internet sharing, not files) with a Netgear router. It works brilliantly with my wireless laptop, but I am having trouble with my desktop PC. I bought a Netgear wireless USB adaptor, installed the drivers and it says it's woking fine with a 'Very Good' signal. But i'm not recieving the internet. When I look at the connection's properties, it's 'Sending' packets, but not reciveing any. I've re-installed the device and still no hope. Can anybody tell me how to sort this out? If it helps, I'm running Windows XP on both systems

Thanks in advance

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Have you disabled encryption on the router to see if that's the issue?

Pipni

Yes, I've tried it on, off and tried all the encryptions, but it still won't recive the 'packet's' even though it has a good signal :(

TerryNet

Terry
3rd party firewall blocking LAN access?

MAC Address filtering on the router?

Pipni

I don't have any 3rd party firewalls (yet, planning on getting zone alarm, and i know how fussy it is!)

MAC Address filtering on the router?
Sorry, could you explain? I know my way around computers usually, its just networking's new to me :confused:

TerryNet

Terry
I mean, did you enable MAC Address filtering on the router when you configured it? Since you are unfamiliar with the phrase I assume that you did not, but you could double check it by logging in to your router.

Have you tried connecting the desktop via ethernet? Tried using the USB adapter on the laptop?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts