1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sending certain files

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Leanne06t, Feb 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Leanne06t

Leanne06t Thread Starter

Hi I have to send a copy of my driving licence or passport for id purpose but have to send it from a jpg file 7mb in size I have no idea how to get the size right .

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Leanne06t, and welcome to TSG.

If you are using a scanner to capture the image of the license or passport, you should be able to experiment with the image resolution (dots per inch) and the percentage of JPEG compression to get different file sizes. The higher the resolution setting and the less compression (higher quality setting) applied, the larger the file. Is the 7 MB size a maximum limit?

You should be careful that you are sending the images to a reputable organization and not someone attempting any kind of identity theft.

3. Leanne06t

Leanne06t Thread Starter

I forgot to say can you send this off a phone or does it have to be done on a computer .yes it says 7mb in size thanks

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    It would depend on the cell phone. Your phone would need to give you a sharply focused image of the document that pretty much fills the frame by either zooming in or being held close to it. You would experiment with the camera resolution settings until you had a file size close to but under the limit.

5. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Best to ask the "company" that requests this if it has to be sent from a computer or would a cellphone image work.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!