1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sending E mail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by coupsta, Oct 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coupsta

coupsta Thread Starter

I reside in the uk and I use NTL as my ISP but my e mail account is with ic24.net.

Until recently logging into the web was good for both receiving and sending my email on the ntl connection.

Now I can only receive mails via my ntl connection, sending mails from this account I have to log into ic24 as my isp and change the properties on outlook.

Anyone any ideas how I can go back to my preferred choice of logging into ntl but using ic24 as my e mail?

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Some providers will not allow you to send emails from their connection. Why should they allow ppl to use some other ISP's email account on their service for free?

I used to live in the UK and I had Freeserve with IC24 and Currantbun (The Sun's ISP). I couldn't send (or receive infact) email from currantbun on freeserve's account (and vice versa)

Only suggestion is use NTL as the sending account. You can also go into the Mail Account Info for NTL and put <username>@ic24.net as the Reply address if you like, that way ppl will be sending email there.

Other than that you are stuck changing ISPs each time you send email.

3. Moby

Moby

Have you tried changing the server settings to the ic24.net one? I use Ntl to connect but also send receive mail from a Virgin account whilst connected to Ntl.
    My incoming mail server setting (pop3) is the Virgin one, my outgoing server (sending) setting is the NTL one, it works fine for sending and receiving mails from a Virgin e-mail address/identity/account.
    Don't know if that's because Virgin and Ntl are linked though.
    Try it.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Moby, is your email username and password the same on both accounts?

5. Moby

Moby

No they are completely different accounts, different e-mail address, username, password.
    I was of the same opinion as you, the one who provides your internet connection is the one whose e-mail you have to use. You could always receive mail from other pop3 accounts but never send. Changing my 'send' server setting to the resident internet providers smtp setting fixed that, as the sent mails aren't kept by the ntl or virgin server for collection but are kept by the recipients server. Ntl are merely acting (on behalf of Virgin :)) as a transport to whoever I'm sending to.
    The only thing in the back of my mind is that I remember those 2 companies combining sometime in the past, but they still have their own servers with their own settings and completely different e-mail addresses/accounts.
    It's worth a try, can't see why it wouldn't work. I can also understand why it's kept quiet if it does work universally.

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    lol, most likely that because they merge, they do allow that. But IMO 9.9 out of 10 you won't be able to do it.

7. Moby

Moby

I tend to agree, but on paper and in theory, it should work fine. Would be good to see if someone could try another couple of accounts to see what happens. Freeserve over here is a funny old animal of a server with the way it handles it's e-mail accounts. You can add any e-mail address to an account as long as it ends the same as the main account user (normally [email protected]), without telling them.
    Most odd.
    :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172866

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice