1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sending email by Outlook Express 6.0

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Liz Duncan, Feb 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Liz Duncan

Liz Duncan Thread Starter

Receiving email by OS6.0 is fine - I have an ADSL line, and until recently, all email sending and receiving has been totally seamless. Increasingly, however, the outgoing email has 'stuck', with the message "An unknown error has occurred. Protocol: SMTP, Port: 0, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800C0131". I close down other programs, disconnect and re-connect the ADSL line, and finally have to re-boot before the emails will send. Because it's getting progressively worse, the thought of a virus crosses my mind, but I have no other symptoms, and have current Norton Live Update and Firewall protection. I have upgraded memory to 511Mb, on a PentiumIII(?) system, and no other programs fall over!! I have discussed the problem with my ISP, who feel it is not a server problem. (Huh!!). I've looked through other problems on the site, and can't see one exactly matching, and wonder if anyone can help please? Liz

2. Piringa

Piringa

Ok so you say that you get that messege in a pop up box or in the body of the messege of the email?

Have you checked all of your settings with you isp?

3. Liz Duncan

In a pop-up box. The 'action' box pops up briefly, showing that incoming mail is being received OK, but with a cross against outgoing, then the next box pops up with the error message.

4. Liz Duncan

Gee - the very helpful and instant reply from Piringa (am I replying just to you, or to the Forum?) didn't actually solve my problem, but prompted me to have one more discussion with my ISP. As they are also very helpful people, although they hadn't seen this problem before, he suggested that it may be a Windows problem. Sure enough - renaming the'folders.dbx' file in Windows to .old i.e. effectively deleting it, forced OE to create a new one, and bingo - we seem to be in seamless business again! Many thanks for prompting this solution - maybe it will be helpful to others too? Liz

5. Piringa

Piringa

No you reply to the forum, and damn at least I tried, it helped in a way right?

6. Liz Duncan

Right - thanks a lot, and it was particularly helpful because it was so speedy! I think we were all thinking along an Outlook Express solution, when in fact it was a Windows file which had been corrupted. In the old days of DOS one knew more or less the function of each individual file. With Windows it is impossible, unless you are a manic programmer, to know, and of course for most of the time unnecessary - until you hit a blip like that! Cheers! Liz

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/120772

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice