1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sending faxes in Win95

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by leftylady, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. leftylady

leftylady Thread Starter

for years I've been using the built in fax software in Windows.. via Windows messaging ..

however I've upgraded to win98 and now when I try to use it I get a message that the modem is already in use...

at first I thought it might be because I currently have a cable modem connected as well as my fax modem, but I was able to get DIN to access and use my fax modem just fine ...

does anyone know if this is just something that microsoft broke in the upgrade... or if I might be doing something silly...

thanks
    Helen

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

If you're using this program it doesn't use DUN. Off-line, you simply click the Desktop or Start Menu icon to start the program, compose and send the fax. If you've been on-line you may have to restart your computer then run the fax program.

You may also have a program trying to dial the Internet you're not aware of:

Get free Zone Alarm personal firewall anti-hacker countermeasure from http://www.zonelabs.com. (not the demo) Don't let anything out to the Internet you don't know what it is.

Update your antivirus, temporarily disable your screen saver and scan with your anti-virus set to scan All Files. Update and scan bi-monthly. Create your anti-virus' Rescue disk(s) and update them after each Windows anti-virus update.

You can scan on-line to double-check your Windows scanner at http://housecall.antivirus.com

Check your available resources by right-clicking My Computer; clicking Properties; Click the Performance tab. Resources available are displayed as percent there at top. Check it when you get done running the System Configuration Utility mentioned below.

Click the Start button; Run; type 'msconfig', without the quoatation marks, in the Run box and click OK; Then click the Startup tab; Uncheck anything you don't need running in the background. For reference on what's not needed running in the background in the System Configuration Utility, view this website first and print out the list:

http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/Running_items.htm

3. leftylady

leftylady Thread Starter

first.... note typo.. I'm really trying to do this in Win98, not Win95.. could it be that windows messaging just won't work with 98?

sorry.. it was late and I didn't make myself clear.. I only mentioned DIN to illustrate that other programs were able to access the modem but that Windows Messaging was not... I know they are not used together.. I am trying to use Windows Messages to dial out in fax mode but it thinks the modem is already in use..

got it.. !
    am up to date.. Using AVG .. really like it..
    hadn't thought that it might be related to screen saver.. will try without and see if it helps..
    very useful.. will bookmark this..
    thanks

Helen

4. slipe

slipe

5. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Yep, 'they' been saying that Windows Messaging is not supported by Win98 FE or SE for years, but it always worked ok for me. When I upgrade to WinMe however, that's when it stopped working.

I think your issue is related to something already running (when Windows starts, hense the Windows Startup Utility site). Or, restart, I've had Windows Messaging give me that 'another program is dialing' or 'the modem is already in use' error message that was cured by a restart.

I apologise for stating something you already knew. I didn't mean that your screen saver was involved in this issue, that was part of a generalized statement to help you scan for virus, trojan or variant. AVG works great. I highly recommend it too.

No, I recognised you were using Win98, you were clear.

6. leftylady

leftylady Thread Starter

hi guys..
    think I got it sorted with your help..

was checking thru the settings and discovered I had "two" modems installed.. plug and pray had discovered my modem twice.. MS Fax was using the first one.. everyone else was using the second one...

fixed that up and it started to work all of a sudden..

great site on MS FAX.. thanks!!!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64110

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice