1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sending HTM file

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by terrace, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. terrace

terrace Thread Starter

I received a .htm file which has text and pictures in an Outlook email. I saved the email to my documents. I right click the file and select "send to mail recipient" and Outlook opens with the file as attachment. I test it before sending and It opens with the text but no pictures, blank (see attached). I can open it on my computer in my documents text and with pictures. It opened ok also when i received the email but something changes when i saved it. Any ideas please?

Attached Files:

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

HTM files can't contain any pictures. It contains only the HTML code that specifies how the web page is to be displayed. They have to be loaded from somewhere else, often the internet. When a web page is saved, it is saved in either the .mht web-archive format that has everything included, or it is saved as a combination of one .htm or .html file and a folder containing all the resources for that web page. Images won't show when the page is opened unless the folder is in the same directory as the .htm file.

Right-click the web page and choose "View Source". Look for the addresses of any images that occur in the page to see where they are loaded from.

In order to send the whole page, you'd have to send both the .htm file and the folder containing the images and other resources, zipped together in a zip file, for example.

3. terrace

terrace Thread Starter

Thank You. When i received the email the htm file opened with text and pictures and i was able to forward it as such, and when i saved it in my documents, it opens ok with text and pictures, but when i decided to right click it and select send to mail recipient, and opened the email attachment it opened with text and blank where the pictures should be. What happened there?:confused:

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

It had to have been loading the pictures from somewhere. Did you look at the source to see where they were coming from? Was the .htm file alone when you received it? Was in in a zip file or in .htm format?

Look in your documents folder and see if there is a folder there with the same name as the .htm file.

Generally, Windows treats the file and the attached folder as a unit. If you move the .htm file, the folder goes with it (unless that has been turned off). But the SendTo option may separate them.

5. terrace

terrace Thread Starter

It was sent to me by a friend and it was just in the email, no attachment, no zip, just a .htm file and type says Firefox document. In the body of the email is text and below is a number of pictures. If i could send it to you it would break the rules-just bare facts pictures if you know what i mean.:)

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

I believe what you saw. I'm just telling you that an htm file cannot contain any images. They have to come from somewhere else. An htm file is basically just the text of a program that specifies how a web page will be set up and where to find things like the images that will appear in the page. It's like the score of the music and not the music itself. Seeing images in it without getting them from somewhere else would be like being able to hear the music by holding the score to your ear. :D

That is the great thing about html - a web page typically loads parts from 10's or scores of different locations on the internet without any of them actually being on the web site that posts the page. It loads them from the internet as the page is being rendered.

If the file doesn't have anything personal in it, you could zip it (or its source) and attach it here. If you'd prefer to mail it, let me know.

(The only reason it is called a "Firefox document" is because you have chosen to create a file association between htm files and FF on your machine. It is called something else on most machines.)

7. terrace

terrace Thread Starter

I right clicked the htm file and clicked on "media info" see attached.(y)

Attached Files:

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Um....since it's not a media file, it really doesn't say much useful.

9. terrace

terrace Thread Starter

I think I worked out the saving/sending of .htm files in emails. Now when I save them I select “Outlook message *msg Format” instead of “.htm/html”(see attached) I sent one to myself and the pictures in the emails are still there.:)

Attached Files:

10. terrace

terrace Thread Starter

Yes it does work by saving as"Outlook message *msg Format.:D

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1027649

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice