1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sending HTML e-mails ...?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by theMusicMan, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. theMusicMan

theMusicMan Thread Starter

Hi All

Quite often I receive very nice looking e-mails from my webhost and others that are formatted brilliantly and look like an html page. They contain images, text and info in many colours etc and I am wondering how this is done?

I wouldn't wish to send out this type of e-mail as standard, but would like to find out how to create such e-mails.

I have used the stationary feature of Outlook but what I see in these e-mails looks to be significantly more than that. Apologies for the dumb question :confused:

thanks
    John

2. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

I think for that you need to be good at designing web-pages!! If you use Outlook Express, you can directly type raw HTML (New Mail > View > Source Edit).

You can even make a web-page and use it as a stationery. To send good looking emails, you must be able to make good looking web-pages. You can do almost everything in an email that you can do in a static web-page.

3. theMusicMan

theMusicMan Thread Starter

... thanks for that.

So, are you saying that I first design a www page in html, then I actually send that as an e-mail?

If so, how does one do that? as an attachment, or do I set it up as stationary?

Thanks

4. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

5. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

You can directly copy and paste the source code. Or, use the html file as a stationery. I think the second option will be easier because you won't have to take care of images separately.

6. marbled

marbled

What happens if someone keeps sending you HTML emails, but all you get is the tags and code when you open it? I have a user who has to copy the email, save it as an html file and reopen it ina browser in order to read important emails from her kid's school. Is there anything I can do to help her? She is running OE 6 on Windows ME. I have modified all of the security settings I can find to enable her to receive html messages. Thanks!

7. bassetman

Probably means they have their email set to receive as "Plain Text" only. :(

8. AbvAvgUser

AbvAvgUser

No. I haven't set my options to receive only plain text mails. But still I sometimes receive such mails and follow the procedure that marbled said to view those mails.

9. marbled

marbled

Thanks, Bassetman, but I did change that setting to allow her to receive HTML formatted messages. She can receive them, she just can't view them with the formatting. : (
    I could really use some help with this. Thanks!

10. bassetman

Is she using something like Yahoo or Hotmail for an email service?

11. marbled

marbled

No, she is running OE 6 on Windows ME as I mentioned above. I did a little research and found out that Outlook 97 doesn't support HTML email, but I haven't found anything that says that OE 6 won't. I don't have the license to upgrade her Office at this time....
    I tell you, I spent all morning on the internet tryng to find more information on receiving HTML email and all I found was beaucoup links on how to create it and beaucoup links on why you shouldn't create it! ugh!
    Thanks, Bassetman. I appreciate any further assistance you or anyone else can provide.

12. bassetman

Its nice to know she is running OE 6, but I was asking about her email address. If it is something like [email protected] it is still running through hotmails mail service before her OE gets ahold of it.

13. marbled

marbled

No. We have a mail server in house that uses POP3 protocol (not an exchange server). I have looked on the server to see if there are any settings I can tweak there, but there aren't.

14. bassetman

Sorry I can't think of anything else, but I'm off to server my jury duty today! :eek:
    I hope someone else can think of what's going wrong for you.

15. sekirt

sekirt

Did you try to see if the same emails look proper on another computer? Could be there is something wrong with the email itself?

See what settings you have in 2 places.

OE. Click Tools--->Options. Click the Send Tab. Click the HTML button.

It should say "quoted printable" and the only other thing checked should be "send picture with messages." (unless, of course you also want to check to indent).

IE. Click View--->Encoding. Should be set on "Western European (ISO)." That is for US. Other Countries might be different.

Did you try to repair or reinstall IE/OE?

sekirt

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!