1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

sending photos be email

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by cindiesue, Aug 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cindiesue

cindiesue Thread Starter

I thought zipping a few photos would condense them for emailing. I attempted to send two photos to 5 people and they all received 24 copies of the email and I received bouncebacks on every one of them. What happened.
    I have a Pentium 4 and using 528 RAM and use DSL
    internet service. Could it be my provider?

2. xgerryx

xgerryx

If the photos are only intended for viewing you would be better off to reduce their file size using a photo edit/managing program. Irfanview is a really good basic program that can do this. It is free and requires very little hd space http://www.irfanview.com/

3. cindiesue

cindiesue Thread Starter

With XP and ACDSee, I have loads of ways to do that, and thanks for the free link. However, If I have an open email going, and want to attach, I would like to attach the photo I want, Right click on it and compress it. Is there a way, or do I have to open the photo editing software, select the photo, make a duplicate of the photo, save it to a spot on the Hard Drive and then open the email and remember where the compressed file is?
    You would think Bill Gates could figure that out with XP. haha

4. buck52

buck52 Banned

compress before attaching I'm afraid...

I have a folder called...imagine this...emailsize...
    everything I want to email I save there

buck

5. cindiesue

cindiesue Thread Starter

thx buck

6. RT

RT

With XP you can select a pic, right click it and choose Send To... / Mail Recipient and check "Make all my pictures smaller".

Select multiple pics to send by holding the CTRL key.

7. cindiesue

cindiesue Thread Starter

so you start with the photos and then email vs
    starting with the email and attaching.
    That is smooth and thanks RT

8. RT

RT

:cool: you're welcome.

Hope you have fair seas out there. :)

9. cindiesue

cindiesue Thread Starter

When Typhoon Ting Ting hit 2 months ago, we were on the mainland visiting grandkids. It uprooted trees all along the beach road the entire 14 miles long that this island is.
    I was sorry to have missed it, but that sounds a little eccentric.
    Cynthia, Island Gran

10. RT

RT

Well, no, not really. It would truly be an awesome spectacle (and perhaps dangerous). I love storms (as long as no one is hurt, and the damage is minimal). Typhoons - I'd like more than 14 miles of continent to back me up :)

BTW, I also use buck52's email folder suggestion also, it usually will contain fewer photos than the rest of my computer so it makes it easier to find stuff sometimes.

Generally, zipping images for email doesn't get you anywhere with jpg format (the most commonly mailed image format). JPGs are already quite compressed and zipping won't gain you more than a few kbs if that much. Compare the size of your zip file to the actual image files before zipping and you'll see what I mean.

Two things to consider as to why your recipients would receive so many copies of the email - your ISP will have a size limitation on emails and so will the ISPs of the folks you send it to. Also, Outlook Express (I'm assuming you are using that for your emails) also has a feature to 'break up' messages over a certain size.

I'm guessing that it was a large message you sent? Did your recipients get something like Part1, Part 2, etc, x 24? Some ISP's allow 10MB in the post office and some balk at a 1MB message, but OEX is what breaks 'em up.

With Outlook Express (OEX) open -
    On the Tools menu, click Accounts.
    On the Mail tab up top of this window, click Properties.
    On the Advanced tab up top, under the Sending heading in this window, de-select the Break apart messages... larger than x KB check box, or enter the value of your choice.

Finally, if you use the suggestions posted by xgerryx and buck (and my tip), you should be OK, just be aware that an email you send to family and friends shouldn't be larger than their servers can handle :) Anything <2MB ought to be good to go, in most cases.

11. cindiesue

cindiesue Thread Starter

Okay, folks. I got alot of good advise from you on this photo compression issue. I think when I had 6 documents I zips together and sent to 30 people, it didn't compress it. So that was reeeeeeeeeeeeeeally too big. I will try changing my properties in Outlook, and then don't send to so many people at a time.
    Keep a look out for the typhoon weather reports for the Northern Mariana Island in the North Pacific. Saipan is easy to find. Just north of Guam... See it, it is a 'spec'..... 14 miles long and 5 miles wide. Just large enough to get to 40 miles an hour.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/259659

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice