Sending print job over home network

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

golddust

Have my home network set up and Computer A is 'seeing' Computer B and vis versa. Trying to send print jobs from Computer B to printer attached to Computer A. This is not a network printer but I've been told Computer A can act as a print server as long as I leave it on. I've set the printer up to share, but can't get anything to transmit. What should I have done from the beginning as far as the printer is concerned? Maybe walking me through what needs to be done from square one will show me what I've missed.

Also, just subscribed to DSL service (Bellsouth) and still waiting for it to initiate. Have my own modem hooked to Linksys router with one cable and one wireless connection. Anything I need to do when the DSL comes online? Will it automatically connect to my router and transmit through my network? This is all new to me since I've only had dialup up to now.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
So the printer is shared on that computer?

How did you go about setting up the othter computer to print to the shared printer?

golddust

Squashman said:
So the printer is shared on that computer?

How did you go about setting up the othter computer to print to the shared printer?
Didn't really know if I needed to do anything on Computer B. I ran the installation disk for the printer on Comp B - getting message saying it can't find a driver so thought I'd try that. Computer B is picking up the printer on My Network Places, but can't send anything to it. Maybe I'm going about it wrong - how are you supposed to send a job to it?

There are also a few types of printers, lexmark especially, that even if set up correctly cannot work as a shared network printer.

For you second question.

Also, just subscribed to DSL service (Bellsouth) and still waiting for it to initiate. Have my own modem hooked to Linksys router with one cable and one wireless connection. Anything I need to do when the DSL comes online? Will it automatically connect to my router and transmit through my network? This is all new to me since I've only had dialup up to now.
I'd start by powering everything down. Unplug the modem and router if they don't have a on/off switch.

Unhook the modem from the router for now.

Plug the ethernet cable from the Modem directly into one of the computers.

Then power up your modem waiting at least 2 min. for it to stabilize.

Then power up the computer to see if it can connect and you can get online.

If it will that will confirm you can connect.

Then power your modem and computer back down, wait 2 min.

Plug the ethrnet cable from the Modem back into the Router WAN port and the Computers back into one of the Routers LAN ports.

Start the Modem first, waiting at least 2 min. for it to stabilize.

Start the Router second, waiting at least 2 min. for it to stabilize.

Then start each computer up one at a time and see if you can connect.

golddust

Thanks for the DSL info VirtualMe. Still waiting for the service to come up - I've been told by Bellsouth to watch the modem light and when it's on steady (blinking now) that means the service is up and running.

golddust

jarchack said:
There are also a few types of printers, lexmark especially, that even if set up correctly cannot work as a shared network printer.
Good to know, since I'm having no luck at all in transmitting - ours is a HP Officejet v40 all-in-one. I followed the instructions on the web site another poster gave and nada.

For printer sharing.

Start by disabling the firewalls, Win XP firewall, Zone Alarm, Norton's etc.

If you are using the Win XP Firewall turn it off by opening the Control Panel

> Security Center > click Windows Firewall link {under Manage security settings for:}

Select OFF

OK

Then go back through all the steps carefully.

http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_net_print.htm

See if you can now print.

====================================
More file and print sharing links.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...DB-AEF8-4BEF-925E-7AC9BE791028&displaylang=en

http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1596

http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Sections-article64-page2.php

http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/pcs/0,39029439,40055565,00.htm?type=pop#1

TerryNet

Terry
golddust, if you are still having trouble with printing, please summarize your current situation.

What is the OS and Service Pack level on the PC with the printer? In Printers and Faxes does the printer have a "sharing" hand under it?

What is the OS and Service Pack level on the other PC? In Printers and Faxes does the printer have a "on the neworik" pipe under it?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts