1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sensor Photo Detectors vs Effective Pixels

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Alex Ethridge, Sep 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

What is the difference between Sensor Photo Detectors and Effective Pixels? I guess my question goes more to what the point is in having these two different numbers and how they are intertwined with each other.

Example: The Olympus E20 has 4.92 million Effective Pixels and 5.24 million Sensor Photo Detectors.

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The CCD (Charge Coupled Device) that produces the image has a grand total of 5.24 million pixels. The useable area accounts for 4.95 million pixels.

Its logical that they cannot use every pixel right out to the edge, there has to be a defined image area edge without running out of pixels. Also the "grouping" of pixels will leave some unuseable incomplete clusters at the extreme edges of the CCD chip

3. Alex Ethridge

Thanks for the reply.

It no longer surprises me when I find things like this. Hard disk manufacturers call a Megabyte 1,000,000 bytes and now Camera manufacturers are counting pixels that don't work.

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

One of my digicams has 3.1 million pixels, but claims 6 million "effective" pixels! (Fuji F602Z)

Because the pixels overlap due to their hexagonal shape, they do a hardware interpolation to get extra data based on the average of the pixels each side. I knew all the details before I bought, so it wasn't a surprise, and it works just fine.
    I would not claim to get 6 megapixel resolution but the quality is very good.

Its just like buying a computer monitor. A 17" CRT is a tad over 15" viewable. They mask off the edges. At least with LCD screens you do get what you pay for

5. wanabe_buck

wanabe_buck Guest

Howdy

As Kiwiguy said...

here's a link you may have seen...

Effective pixels

mostly a marketing thing I guess...more pixels = better quality

buck

6. Alex Ethridge

Well, it looks like there is more to it than just the masked pixels.

Good link.

7. hewee

hewee

I would just go by the Effective pixels as to how good it is.

8. Alex Ethridge

How good it is, isn't what I am after. I want an education in this and wanabe's link to Megapixel.net is a good one. I don't know why I didn't think of it myself.

I guess when I want to know anything I come here first.

9. hewee

hewee

Yes this is the place to come to for help. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/167221

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice