1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

SEO help please

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by bikerbcs, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bikerbcs

bikerbcs Thread Starter

Hi, I'm kinda new to website building, and SEO and I'm trying to make my website SEO friendly, can someone tell me what I should be filling in the following fields for best results? (Just examples, of what you would exactly fill in for your website for example so I can fill it out myself)

Page Title (to appear in the HTML title tag):
    Page Description:
    Meta Keywords (separate each with a comma):
    Footer Code:
    Header Code:

2. DrP

DrP

Page Title (to appear in the HTML title tag): Get some keywords in here but don't overdo it.
    Page Description: Used on the Google results page as the short paragraph below the result title (negligible influence on ranking).
    Meta Keywords (separate each with a comma): A waste of time.
    Footer Code: What do you mean?
    Header Code: What do you mean?

Other:
    URL: Filenames are very influential.
    Links from relevant, quality sites: The most important thing. Including Twitter, facebook, etc.

3. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

= the actual site content. And not just any old piece-o-crap, but quality content.
    So many people seem to forget this.
    An infinite number of links and SEO tweaks will be meaningless if the content is missing, or bad.

4. sepala

sepala

It is really better if the Title of the home page = Name of the site. for an example, if you have a site called www.example.com, you can make the title of the homepage as something like "Welcome to example.com". Once I found a video in youtube done by Google,proving this.

If you need more things to know about SEO, you can go here http://www.youtube.com/user/GoogleWebmasterHelp

5. DrP

DrP

Yeah, sorry. I missed that one off as the question was specifically about SEO, not actually attracting more visitors. That said, you ain't going to get the quality links without good content anyway.

Seriously? I'd be surprised if that was the case, especially as it contradicts what most so-called SEO 'experts' would recommend.

6. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

I ran a site a while back,before linux started including it's own flash drive installers.
    It was called flash drive linux live,with the domain www.flashdrivelinuxlive.com
    Ha Ha,looks like some took that domain and made a link site out of it.
    I made installers that could be run in windows that would install variuos versions of
    linux to a flash drive with persistant drive space to save changes.

I set the title of the site to Flash Drive Linux Live,which reflected the domain.
    I kept the desciption simple.
    Something like Easily install linux to your flash drive.
    I only used about 8 or 9 keywords.
    Like flash,drive,linux,ubuntu,suse and so on.
    All the keywords were relevant to what I was doing with the site.
    The content and body of the site were also just a simple description
    of what the site was for.
    Didn't use any header or footer tags.
    I only had about 6 or 7 incoming links.
    I made a site map file according to google webmaster tools and
    uploaded it to the site.

This site went to the top 3 listings in all the major search engines.
    Usually the number 1 listing.

The key was to keep everything relevant to what the site was about,
    including the domain name and keep it simple.
    Don't use a lot of keywords,
    Search eangines don't like keyword seeding.
    Use only enough to make sure you have covered what is relevant to the site.
    Incoming links have some bearing,but apparently not that much,as I didn't have many.
    Incoming links should also be coming from sites that are relative to your site.
    For instance,I had a couple of links coming in from a major linux website.

Check out google webmaster tools and go through the different links on the site.
    It's free and has a wealth of information on preparing and submitting your site.
    https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLogin?service=sitemaps&passive=true&nui=1&continue=https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/&followup=https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/&hl=en

7. DrP

DrP

How long ago? Things change.

8. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

Just over a year.

9. sepala

sepala

Yeah, seriously. If I find that video again, I will definitely post it in here (I am really busy in these days because I have to submit my web development project)

10. jalicia18

jalicia18

Page Title (to appear in the HTML title tag): Title of your website, add at least one keyword or target keyword, don't overdue it. At least 65 characters long. i.e: Company Name - Keyword
    Page Description: At least 155 characters long, put a short description with keyword.
    Meta Keywords (separate each with a comma): up to 15 keywords separated with a comma.
    Footer Code: ??
    Header Code: ?? heading tags like <head> </head> ??

11. DrP

DrP

Pretty much everyone thinks they know something about SEO, and it's clear as soon as someone mentions the keywords meta tag they know very little. Try a Google search on the importance of the keywords meta tag in Google and you'll quickly see they aren't worth a penny...

12. sepala

sepala

Of course..Keywords are OUTDATED now. Google say they don't use it(I have posted some google videos about this, in similar SEO question), and some search engines just use it to some some rankings. But use META Description, it is worthy.

13. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned

I checked in webmaster tools for meta tags that goggles uses and
    it doesn't list keywords which is a bit strange considering they have
    a utility on site that shows your sites ranking by keyword.

14. DrP

DrP

A few of their tools are like that. Once a tool is out of fashion, they just seem to leave it.

15. rotarysteve

rotarysteve Banned

Though Google may rely less on the meta's, there is more than just google. I do think that google still use's the meta's to rank pages, but maybe their algorithyms rely more on content.

Tho,I have the el-cheapo plan for my site tracker :rolleyes:, there is more than just google.....

SEO Came From "site entry"

Perc. Search Engine
    50.00% www.google.com
    24.24% www.bing.com
    19.70% search.yahoo.com
    1.52% www.google.ca
    1.52% www.google.co.id
    1.52% search.aol.com
    1.52% www.google.com.ph
    100.00%

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974767

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice