1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Separate "HOME PAGES" for Explorer

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by hotskates, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

Is there a way to have two separate Home pages under Internet Explorer (Windows 98). I now have a link under favorites that takes me to "my" home page. My husband's home page is the one that is set to come up automatically.

2. jm100dm

jm100dm

hotskates

Welcome to Tech Support Guy

Personally unless you like having all the links in front of you that several homepages put together for you I would take a different route. If you have the links toolbar open you can put links or folders there for easy access to many pages.

My home page loads very quickly and then I can go anywhere that I like. Check it out below. Any page can be your home page.

http://www.americasbest.com/danscripts/jokeoftheday.htm

To answer your question I believe that you would have to set up seperate users.

jm100dm

3. Huon

Huon

The only way, is to have a seperate profile in Windows. You can then log on seperately, and have seperate copies of IE with seperate homepages and seperate favorites. As long as you are using the same desktop, you will have the same IE settings. You could always download a different browser, say Opera, Netscape, or Mozilla, and use that instead.

4. jm100dm

jm100dm

hotskates

Tried to show a screen shot earlier but lost it somewhere. Each folder has several links and all users can go where they want. Hope that it shows this time.

jm100dm

Attached Files:

5. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

Thanks jm,
    That was an interesting screen shot you forwarded. I think having the link on top like it shows would be PERFECT for me.
    Thanks.

I'm just a bit confused. I clicked on "View", then "toolbar", then the "Links" button, but now what do I do next to add a link to the toolbar?

thanks for your help. Hotskates:confused:

6. hotskates

hotskates Thread Starter

jm,
    Well, I tinkered around with the links folder and figured out how to get it to show up on the toolbar. Its so cool. Thanks for letting me know about this feature. Hotskates

7. jm100dm

jm100dm

The links folder is here.

C:\WINDOWS\Favorites\Links

Your can put new folders in there and then right click on them to rename them if you like. If you already have a lot of favorites that you want to sort out you can sort them into different folders and then move them to the links file or just go to links folder and do it right there. Once the folders are on the link bar you can drag any link into which ever one you want it to go into. If you're not sure that it went in there drag and drop it again and windows will ask if you want to replace the one that you already have there, showing you the name that is currently being used. Change the name to what you want it to be. If you have any further questions feel free to ask.
    Another tool that I use and find very helpful is the toolbars that you can add to the taskbar. The desktop toolbar lets you get to anything on your desktop without closing all that is already open. I also have one there for my documents because most of my important files are there. By clicking on toolbar you can add a link to any folder that you use often down there. To remove any of these shortcut links right click on a blank area of the taskbar and uncheck it.

Hope this helps.

jm100dm

8. jm100dm

jm100dm

While posting I see that you have already found your way around
    the links toolbar. Happy to have helped. Most people are afraid to just dig in and see what they have. Have fun.

jm100dm

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112737

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice