1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Separate Wireless and Wire Network on a same router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by lazysmurf, Nov 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lazysmurf

lazysmurf Thread Starter

I'm trying to set up a network that have both wireless and wire connections, but the trick is that I DO NOT want the people using the WIRELESS be able to see the computers that are connected by WIRE. Both cwired and wireless onnections will be coming out of a 2wire router. The reason I'm doing that is because the wireless will be available to public use and wire connections will be for emoployee usage in a small business shop.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can do this by adding another wired router as a secondary router. Connect all the wired connections to the secondary router, and allow the wireless clients to use the primary router's wired connections. You will be isolated from the primary router's connections by the NAT layer of the secondary router.

There's no way I know of that will work using that single router, it doesn't have that capability.

3. lazysmurf

lazysmurf Thread Starter

yeah, that's what I initially figured and the last resort, but I spoke with a network person and he said it is capable of doing it, but since i couldn't reach him, i'm wondering if someone have an idea how to do it, maybe have both on different subnet or gateway?

4. JohnWill

Your 2WIRE router will only handle a single subnet. Trust me, the easy way is to simply spend $20 for a secondary router.

5. lazysmurf

lazysmurf Thread Starter

i guess i will put on a scound router then, is there a specific configeration for me to hook a 2nd router on the 2wire router?

6. JohnWill

The secondary router can be configured to factory defaults for the initial configuration. If you need ports forwarded (games, servers, etc.), you may have to do additional configuration. For normal web access, all it takes is the reset button. ;)

7. lazysmurf

lazysmurf Thread Starter

just in case, but if the 2wire router have the 192.168.0.1 gateway and the router i purchase also have a 192.168.0.1 gateway, doesn't that cause conflicts? no port forward needed, i just need to make sure the wired pcs are able to share files.

8. JohnWill

You can simply change the base address of any secondary router to a non-conflicting address. Say 192.168.1.1 in your example.

9. lazysmurf

lazysmurf Thread Starter

just summing everything up. for example.
    2 wire will have 192.168.0.1 gateway for wirless users.
    Secondary rounter hooking up to 2wire have 192.168.1.1 gateway for wired users.
    by doing this, the wireless users will not be able to see the wired users.
    because they are located in two seperate layers of the network.
    and just double check, even if i share folder/printers on the WIRED network, the WIRELESS users will not see the shares, right?

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Right (post #9).

11. lazysmurf

lazysmurf Thread Starter

alright then, will give it a wiggle tonight and will post the result. I just bought a linksys switch/router b/c they have more than 5 PCs.

12. JohnWill

Your understanding is correct, let us know if you run into any issues. :)

13. lazysmurf

lazysmurf Thread Starter

Hi, I tried to use the Linksys router/dsl 8 port router/switch for the WIRED computers, but I couldn't get it on the network and pass to the internet(2 wire router).
    The configeration will be like this.
    2wire: gateway 192.168.1.254
    linksys: gateway 192.168.0.1

the ipconfig for 2wire is
    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : gateway.2wire.net
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) 82566MM Gigabit Network Con
    nection
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . :
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.100
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

Any suggestions on how can I get the WIRED computers behind the Linksys router to work and have internet access?

14. JohnWill

Do you have the Linksys WAN configured for dynamic addressing? Do you have the 2WIRE DHCP server enabled? That should be all that's required to get Internet access on the secondary router.

What model is that Linksys? You mention DSL, is this a modem/router? If so, that's one problem, you need a plain broadband router with an Ethernet WAN port.

15. lazysmurf

lazysmurf Thread Starter

yeah, the 2 wire is modem/router.
    the Linksys I purchased is EtherFast® Cable/DSL Router with 8-Port Switch
    the model number is BEFSR81

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/651301

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice