1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

seperate iTunes/iPod Libraries

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Jerold, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerold

Jerold Thread Starter

I don't know if this thread even belongs on this site, but I'll ask anyway. My mom and dad have different taste in their music selection. That said... my dad already has his entire CD collection imported into iTunes under his login and the library is in a music library folder that I created on his 2nd partition. I told them that in theory, all CD's really should go into one big Music library folder on the HDD and they can just dump everything onto each of their ipods. If there are specific performers or albums that they only want to listen to, they can create playlists etc... and filter that way.

My mom doesn't want most of my dad's stuff on hers since it will just waste space on her ipod, so I was thinking that if she uses itunes under her own Windows login, will she be able to have her own seperate iTunes Music LIbrary that I can designate on the HDD and essentially isolate her tunes from my dad's?

Thanks,
    Jerold

2. Moby

Moby

Not sure if Itunes gives you a new library for a different user account. Set one up and open Itunes to see. If the library is empty then yes, she gets a new one to play with.
    Alernatively, in your current 'joint' itunes, create a playlist called 'Mom' and add all her songs to it. Clicking on that playlist then shows only her songs. More playlists can be created then to narrow further from just her own songs.

3. Jerold

Jerold Thread Starter

I found out...

If you log in under a different name (in my case my mother's logon) and open iTunes, it opens up as if it was just installed and you have to accept the licensing agreements. It opens up as a fresh NEW instance of iTunes. I just created a new, seperate Music Library for my mother on the second partition and directed iTunes to use that (iTunes defaults to 'my documents\my music....' folder).

Just don't plug in another ipod into another persons iTunes Library or it will ask if you want to erase all the data on the connected ipod and copy the current library's music to it. If it is set to do it automatically, then you lose your data and have to reload your library under your logon.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542883

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice