1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Sepreme Commander damn it! (Win8 is not allowing deletion)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by etherdose, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. etherdose

etherdose Temporarily Banned Thread Starter

First Name:
    Michael
    Hi everyone!

I love Windows 7 so far. Despite the fact that you are limited on the older games you cannot play, it's over all functionality is wonderful. However, I have one serious problem that seems like no matter what I do I cannot solve this. I have looked up Authoring and Ownership all over the net and concerning Windows 7. I do know how to take ownership of files, folders, etc. but for some reason this doesn't seem to work. On my external hard drives when I move a file to the external drive, Win7 keeps trying to do two very frustrating things that leave me limited. One.....it keeps setting all the files on the hard drive as 'Read only'.....and this is AFTER I set it and ALL SUBFOLDERS to be unchecked. It keeps reverting back to this. Next thing it does for some reason is Two .....it doesn't let me delete anything unless I use an 'unlocker' program. I love Win7, and I even disabled the whole Security on file startup features, yet nothing seems to work. What am I doing wrong? Please...no replies unless you have truly read everything up above. I post in here off and on and have helped a few times, and it frustrates me when people don't read the details and just skim the topic.

thank you for your time and help!

2. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

Disable UAC.

Jim

3. etherdose

First Name:
    Michael
    It is already off. User account control settings are set to 'Never Notify'.... Anything else?

(Note....sorry I typed Windows 8 in the title...8 key is next to the 7 key.....too much caffeine)

EDIT=

I looked here...
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com...y/thread/938f2b50-b063-475b-8c5e-905d136df2e3

This is a common problem it seems with Windows7. Kinda like the guy says at the bottom....why should I have to make so many allowances on MY system on a 1 person computer and I am the admin? The UAC setting doesn't work...isn't there a better way???

4. etherdose

First Name:
    Michael
    *bump*

Any ideas?

Thanks!

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Are you logged in with an account with admin priv?

6. etherdose

First Name:
    Michael
    Yes. It is a one account computer. It is an admin account.

7. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

Just a thought,,, Is your external drive formatted in FAT32 or NTFS? It should be NTFS.

Jim

8. bbearren

bbearren

Make the external drive a "Shared" drive.

9. etherdose

First Name:
    Michael
    All are NTFS. Fat32 is outdated for Windows 7 stuff. What urks me is even when I copy or create something to desktop, it wont let me alter the title until a restart.

10. etherdose

First Name:
    Michael
    next day *bump*

11. etherdose

First Name:
    Michael
    Not much response. I have no idea. Anything I can run that might be dominating files on Windows 7? I did the best I could and googled all over about this. Most people mention things I have tried....(resetting ownership, making the stuff shared,) but the crappy part is these ideas aren't working and it's also affecting the c (main) drive as well. Help please?

12. Hermitt43

Hermitt43

Etherdose, one final thought.....
    Open a command prompt as Administrator and type "SFC /scannow" without the quotes and press ENTER.
    If that doesn't fix it then I'm all out of ideas.

Jim

13. zorgan

zorgan

may be a long shot but some software may be interfering with files?

check your resource monitor, hit windows key and type resource, launch resource monitor see which services you have running and background progs?

if you seem to have resources running which you do not recognise, then google them, it should explain what resources are for what.

also type services.msc into run command (windows 7 orb - or start button then type)

see which services are running that may be interfering with your OS?

14. bbearren

bbearren

Did you format this drive under Windows 7?

15. lunarlander

lunarlander

Do you have a backup program that also backups to that drive?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975278

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice